Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Replacing front shock/springs - bolts removed, unit won't come free

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:07 PM
goo

Question Replacing front shock/springs - bolts removed, unit won't come free

I am working on removing the front right shock/spring assembly on my 2002 v6, and I have removed all of the bolts specified in the chilton manual. The shock/spring/bracket (not sure what it is called) that mounts to the chassis are essentially hanging and separated. I am not sure why I cannot remove the unit from this bracket-- I can rotate the shock/spring and the two upper bolts make this bracket move in unison. I've tried tapping the lower flat surface of the absorber in vain to encourage the bolts to separate from the bracket, but they are budging very little, and I'm wondering if there is a better method or if anyone has any experience with this situation?? I will post pictures tomorrow, as I am typing this up on my phone. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by goo; 08-04-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: iPhone cause grammatical error :)
Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Administrator

You ususally have to separate either the upper or lower ball joint to remove the spring/shock assembly. The upper joint will sometimes separate by removing the castelated nut, and tapping on the side of the joint with a hammer. The lower ball joint will separate with a pickle fork, but that will often damage the rubber boot on the joint, necessitating ball joint replacement.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 AM
goo

Injuneer:

Thanks for your response. I wanted to avoid pulling it apart, as it wasn't documented, and so I needed to hear it from someone else. I will try the upper joint.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Administrator

I've heard of people getting the assembly out without separating a ball joint, but it didn't work for me.

I have an online procedure that may help for the rest of the job:

http://www.injuneer.com/HALEibch.html
Old 08-04-2010, 06:37 PM
goo

Ok, so I've removed the castellated nut, but the assembly doesn't want to lift up from that. I've linked my actual car's pictures below. Do I actually need to remove the bolts from the upper joint -- as shown in picture 4?

http://img440.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=boltscloseup.jpg
Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 PM

Have you ever separated a tapered joint before (like the ball joint)?

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...96&postcount=5
Old 08-04-2010, 07:18 PM
goo

Ah, well no I have not. I understand the concept from your link -- just not where to place those hammers. Sorry if I'm being dense.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 PM
goo

whew! ok.. got it off! Just used the claw from the back of a hammer for leverage and pulled down on the shock/spring assembly.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:51 PM
goo

Looks like I have bigger fish to fry now?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:36 PM

Looks like a murky pic from the bottom of the gulf at the BP oil leak, but a rusted nut is pretty common. Make sure you have that spring compressed before getting it off.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by goo
Ah, well no I have not. I understand the concept from your link -- just not where to place those hammers. Sorry if I'm being dense.
There are flat spots on the outside of the knuckle hole where the joint goes through. Big hammer to back up one side and hit the other side with a ball pein. Someday I'll take a pic. Always easier to explain that way.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 PM
goo

Originally Posted by shoebox
Looks like a murky pic from the bottom of the gulf at the BP oil leak, but a rusted nut is pretty common. Make sure you have that spring compressed before getting it off.
lol. Now that you mention it, it kinda does!

Yeah, I don't feel like impaling myself with a spring.
You say this is pretty common, should I just plan on torching it off? I can see the upper spring support being a casualty of that skirmish?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Administrator

That's pretty common for an 8 year old car. Some people have had to cut through the shock shaft to get the assembly apart. Given the condition of the parts in the photo, you should buy new upper spring seats. My car was about 4 years old when I did the swap, and had never been in a winter salt environment. I bought new seats before even attempting to take the old assemblies apart.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 AM
goo

Originally Posted by Injuneer
That's pretty common for an 8 year old car. Some people have had to cut through the shock shaft to get the assembly apart. Given the condition of the parts in the photo, you should buy new upper spring seats. My car was about 4 years old when I did the swap, and had never been in a winter salt environment. I bought new seats before even attempting to take the old assemblies apart.
Is the coil spring insulator also needed? The coil spring seat that I see on rockauto doesn't look like it contains everything needed.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 AM
goo

Found my answer here:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=264770

Quick Reply: Replacing front shock/springs - bolts removed, unit won't come free