Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Replacing the K member?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 07:20 PM

Replacing the K member?

The k-member on my '99 TA got tweaked when I hydroplaned into a curb the other day. The right rear corner, behind where the lower control arm bolts up, moved about a quarter inch back. It made it a little difficult to install the new front lower control arm. Is it worth the risk to just keep the same k-member in there since all the steering/suspension components went back in place?

Also, none of my books show how to go about doing this. Is it as easy as just holding up the engine and unbolting the steering components and brake lines, then droping the k-member? Is there anything specific to watch out for, a job like this looks to have a high potential of screwing something up
Old 10-09-2005, 03:56 AM

Re: Replacing the K member?

I have changed to an aftermarket k-member, but the procedure is very similar and is what you've discribed. The only thing that would be screwed up is front wheel alignmnet, but I think you already knew that.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:56 AM

Re: Replacing the K member?

ok thanks, sounds easy enough. I'm gonna finish putting it back together and take it to the alignment shop. If they have any trouble getting everything to line up correctly, then I'll go ahead and get a tubular k-member and put it in.

Thanks for the reply.