Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Resurrecting a totaled LT1 Camaro. Bad damage-opinions? *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 PM

Resurrecting a totaled LT1 Camaro. Bad damage-opinions? *Pics*

I know its 'not worth fixing'
The car is worthless for the most part as it sets, but it is worth millions in sentimental value if I could find a way to make it road worthy again.
If it cant be repaired to 'almost stock' specs than it will probably end up with a tube-frame front end and be a track car. Either way I plan on doing anything possible to bring it back to life, just wondering how to go about it and if any of you have tried fixing something this banged up?

All of this still in the planning stages of course.

Car is a 94 LT1 Camaro. It ran into culvert doing 35mph about 6 years ago and has been a lawn decoration ever since (always undercover and sealed up as good as possible) While 35mph does not sound bad, hitting an object that does not give AT ALL will certainly do some damage.

Some Pics:
The day it died

And today.

The reason the cowl area is bent in this pic is from me prying it up to get the ECM out after the wreck. Otherwise the windshield cowl is OK.

All doors, trunk, t-tops, etc open/remove easy and appear straight. Cant find any stress marks in the roof near the t-tops either.

Talked to a few body shops:
one said it would be a waste of time etc and didnt want to discuss anything further, period.
Two others said it would be fixable with enough $cash$ + front end from another camaro and some serious time getting everything pulled back to spec.

I know its not worth the $$ to fix it (if its even possible), but again its the sentimental value is whats making want to try this.
In the end if its not fixable, then at worst this will be another learning experience

Thanks for any/all replies!!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 PM

Re: Resurrecting a totaled LT1 Camaro. Bad damage-opinions? *Pics*

Looks like that tower took a big hit, pulling will not get it completely out. You're getting into graft territory here and getting a front clip from the dash forward. Big project, and I'd agree with them.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:39 PM

'grafting' does not even sound good lol
Thanks for the reply Sandman
Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 AM

Take the sentimental part out of the wreck, presumably the back seat where you "kissed" your first girl, and put it in a new-to-you LT1 of same year and color. Take the $7500 plus you saved not fixing the old one and either take the girl you first "kissed" for a two week ocean cruise or build yourself a 450 hp motor.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 AM

I would salvage as much as possible and transfer it to the new car. Maybe find a rear hit and use as much as you can.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:45 AM

This wreck happend about 6 years ago. Ive had another car since not long after, a 95 with a 383+AI trickflow heads, 6speed, 9inch, etc. I did infact swap my drivetrain including rear from the black one to my 95

Purchased this car as a roller from a member on this board actually Brandon94Z28

I just felt bad doing nothing with it letting it rot basically. Atleast now I can part out or find someone who needs it as a whole.

Thanks for the replies fellas!

FYI the sentimental part was more of how I spent alot of time fixing it up before it was road worthy before even getting my license, and all the fun driving around with the guys, discovering the other 'car guys' in the area (many of whom I still hangout with). I dont have any GOOD memories of girls in that car, just bad ones honestly lol