Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Review: 1LE Front Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 03:16 PM

Re: Review: 1LE Front Sway Bar

Originally Posted by 01 FS Z28
...but don't pretend it's the end-all when you haven't tried the other stuff.... That was my point....
Agreed, definately not the end all, and if I ever see more money being available for the sway bar department I'd more than likely go to a 35mm Strano Bar.

-Dustin-
Old 10-31-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
Agreed, definately not the end all, and if I ever see more money being available for the sway bar department I'd more than likely go to a 35mm Strano Bar.

-Dustin-

Oh crap.. now I feel like I am the bad guy... but any who... how does the rear sway bar feels like? does it feel wimpy or can it still do the job?

My rear springs seem to be sitting lower... not much but is noticeable. if I go with new springs Id like to know if I am going to need a new rear bar.... I want something like the 1le springs.... meaning a streat car with just a bit stiffer suspension...

What do you think?

Marvin
Old 10-31-2005, 10:16 PM

No one is the bad guy. I never did a rear sway, but I did replace some endlinks and that was enough to cause massive oversteer and almost cause me to wreck since I am so used to how my car handled before. I need new shocks if not springs to match too. The rear is hitting bumps pretty hard now, almost like I am bottoming out or something. I wanted 1LE's too, but it seems like no one can find an official set anywhere. I'd get some if I could.

-Dustin-
Old 11-01-2005, 07:17 AM

I found that adding the 21mm rear bar, the car was a little better balanced. Right at the limit of adhesion, if I lifted the throttle, the rear would start to slip ever so slightly to steer the tail around the turn. Personally, I like it way better than the 19mm bar. I feel a little more in control of the car's direction instead of lumbering through the turn. If you aren't expecting it, the first couple of times it may suprise you, in the end it's great.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:58 PM

Product: 1LE 32mm Hollow Sway Bar and Energy Suspension Polyurethane bushings and endlinks.

Price:
1LE Sway Bar - $29.99 (Ebay)
Polyurethane - $25-30 (Summit)

Install: Install was relatively simple, basically unbolt the old stuff and bolt on the new. Pretty easy. You'll need 10, 13, 14mm sockets and rachet along with 13,14mm wrenches. I put the car up on jackstands. Your probably just going to want to break off the stock end link bolts like I did to save time and energy. I did the bushings first then the end links. You'll also have to take off a plate on the drivers side, which is borrowing a stud on the sway bar bushing. I put the bushings in first on the 1LE then worked the endlinks into place and tightened from the inside out.

Performance: I noticed pulling out of my drive that the car handled better. The normal excess body roll was elminated feeling like the car was on rails. I made my way first to a 55mph curvey state road and then a unmarked curvey back road. On the way I noticed the car seemed to control better at speed. The entire front end was tighter overall and even seemed to brake more effectively. Once I got into it on these two roads it was evident that my time, money and effort was well worth it. The car had a new found spirit around curves. I took curves that usually required speeds around 45 to make at around 70. It finally seemed like I was utilizing the the performance I paid for in my GS-D3's.

Conclusion:
Before I get people getting on here and saying you should have got a 35mm from Strano hold your horses. I'll be the first to admit that a 35mm bar probably would handle better. But I firmly believe that one modification isnt right for everyone. It depends on a persons whats or needs for the car. I wanted a moderate handling improvement for a minimal amount of investment. I wanted a 35mm Hollow for sometime, but my budget wouldnt allow. Also I am more concerned about engine performance than handling performance. So I didnt want the extra weight of a solid bar up front. I do think that its the best suspension modification I have done so far, and definately think its worth the $55 investment. If you want max performance get Strano's stuff, I am sure its great. But if you want a moderate improvement but dont have the budget to go wild on a sway bar, seriously consider the 1LE 32mm, its well worth the money in my eyes.

-Dustin-
Would you happen to have the part numbers for the endlinks from Summit? Thanks
Old 11-01-2005, 08:54 PM

You can get Energy Suspension polyurethane endlinks from autozone.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:58 PM

No I dont, I just walked in and asked for the parts I needed. You could look it up on their site I bet.

-Dustin-
Old 11-01-2005, 09:08 PM

I need new shocks if not springs to match too. The rear is hitting bumps pretty hard now, almost like I am bottoming out or something. -Dustin-

Same as me. In my case the Jounce bumpers got so rotten they fell out. I am waiting for a new set to arrive from GMPartsDirect.com. 41Dollars a pair delivered to Hawaii.

I will check around for 1le springs. Thanks for the rear bar info.

Marvin