Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Ride is getting scary

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:19 AM

Ride is getting scary

I know the 95 is way past due for shocks, but this is getting kinda scary at regular highway speeds. Its all over the road, just real sloppy like a 80 caprice with 200,000 miles on it. Everytime I go over a small pothole or where they've patched the road it sends the car all over the lane like a drunk driver. (have actually been pulled over on suspicion of DUI already because of this thing.) I've got new tierod ends, pretty decent tires, all the bushings look good, and have had it on the suspension rack at the tire shop (though they only looked at the front end) and they said everything looked and felt tight. It is abnormally rough riding, have had this thing goin on 3 years and it has gotten much worse. It sounds and feels like you are actually hitting the pavement going over bumps or potholes. Very bad side-stepping in the read when hitting a bump while turning. It is almost lower in the back than the front so Im planning to do rear shocks and springs and hopefully front shocks. Anybody else got any good pointers as to what else may be adding to the problem? I know these things ride rough but its getting real sh*tty. Also, am losing overall handleing and stability just driving straight on smooth roads.

Just wanting any other pointers of what to definately look for while I got a little bit of $ to try to get this thing back to "normal" Its definately riding like it has 184,XXX miles on it now. Im not much of a suspension guy (yet) mostly engine/body. Could it just be the wore out shocks and broke down rear springs?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:54 AM

I'm afraid I can't be of too much help here, but I want to jump in on the discussion because I'm having the same problem...very twitchy handling, especially through changes in the road grade. Patchy roads around here are starting to get scary and the steering wheel almost feels like it goes slack for a second over the crown of the road when changing lanes.

Similar to you, I've got all new PST bushings/balljoints, alignment is within factory specs (checked on three different racks, adjusted within factory tolerances), new but crappy autozone shocks, new tires (scrubbed badly on the inside front), ragjoint eliminator in the steering shaft, seemingly sagged stock springs.

If anyone has any suggestions about what to look at, I'm sure we'd both appreciate it. (my first thought was balljoints and alignment but both seem okay). I'm going to replace the steering rack shortly and am thinking I might try out some Koni shocks...but I would actually like to pin-point the problem.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

For the original poster - Since you only had the front suspension inspected, why not check the back end, concentrating on the panhard rod and LCA bushings and mounts? Did they check the steering rack? ... rag joint? ....front wheel bearing cartridges?