Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Ride height affect the alignment settings of a car since when?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 11:39 AM

Re: Ride height affect the alignment settings of a car since when?

Originally Posted by 02zl1_97ss
I'm happy for you JoeMack. Sounds like you got a bargin but I have to wonder whether the mechanic at Colony Tire did anything other than set toe-in. It takes about 45 minutes to hang the heads, adjust toe-in and take the alignment heads off the car.

The tool that I referred to above is:

HD CAMARO/FIREBIRD CAMBER TOOL

• Adjusts camber of 1993 and newer Camaro and Firebird automobiles
• Heavy-duty design allows camber and caster adjustment with weight on vehicle

Part#: CT88HD Price: $89.20

This tool is available from Matco tools. I am sure that Snap-On and the other tool vendors sell them too. You really need two of them to do the job properly.

Here is the link so that you may look at the tool:

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/to...select=&page=3

This tool allows us to pull in or push out the camber and caster on the vehicle.

Did your mechanic at Colony Tire use tools like this to align your F-Body? Possibly your caster and camber settings were fine and didn't need any adjustment other than a toe-in adjustment. Did you just now lower your car and have it aligned or was it lowered and aligned some time back and now you have experienced an alignment problem and had the car re-aligned? With my experience in lowering F-Body cars, I haven't seen one yet that after it was lowered that Caster, Camber and Toe-In were all way out and needed to be adjusted back in. The process of installing lowering springs changes the ride height of the car and changes the geometry of it.
I am sorry, I did not take into account the setting up of the equipment in my original estimate of how long that it took. The car was on the rack at 10:30 AM and the completed print out has 11:41 AM on it. I lowered my car a few months ago and felt that it would be a good idea to get the alignment checked. The before/after specs are as follows: CAMBER; Left, -.62*/-1.04*. Right, -.72*/-1.19*. CASTER; Left 5.48*/4.85*. Right, 5.43*/5.09*. TOE; Left, -.19/-.01. Right, -.37/.00. These specs are taken directly from the print out. Like I stated in my previous post, I was present for the entire process. He did not use any special tools to make any of the adjustments, just wrenches and a pry bar. I am not trying to say that there are not any specialized tools to make these adjustments. I am just saying, that during the alignment that I saw, they were not needed.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:50 AM

I would take it to a GOOD shop that deals with high performance suspension alignment.

I had a Firestone here tell me they couldn't do it, someone else said they could BUT they would guarentee it... forget them.

Find another shop.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:28 PM

i've done a couple 4th gen f-body alignments and they are easy as hell (stock height), i'm sure being lowered makes it a bit worse, but it cant be all that bad. Hopefully my old high school teacher will let me use their alignment rack to align my car after i drop it, i'd rather do it myself.