Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ride height problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 01:49 PM

ride height problem

ok, so i installed a pro-kit and slp revavled bielstens a few months ago. and the passanger side front sits 1/4 - 3/8" lower than the rest. i just called summit and they sent me a new kit, i installed it and i have the same issue. i want to get them all even. all 3 wheels have 1.5" between the tire and fender, but he other side is less. i know that it isnt a spring issue, is there another adjustment that i can make? spacer maybe?
Old 12-26-2006, 02:31 PM

Maybe they compensated for the driver?.. .. I've allways heard of the LR sagging. My back end sits a little low, but that might be because of the Box of 2 12's I've got back there.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:51 PM

i have abosultly no idea. i think the LR sits low because of the spare, jack, and the exhaust is hung on that side. but the LF? I think im just going to machine a 1/4" spacer to fit between the spring seat and the shock. i dont think that will effect handleing either. its the only thing i can think of.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:33 PM

I suggest you measure from the sub frames to ground on each side. You can't assume the body work is perfectly even. I realize the wheel well gap is what you see, but the frame to ground whould state what the suspension height is at.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:59 PM

i did that. it is the same. it is a 1/4-3/8" lower on the passanger side, but i cant really go from that because the body is sitting lower on that side. even if it is the body of the car that is the issue, how can i correct that? other than put it on a frame machine.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:42 PM

My 2001 RS sat lower on the rear passenger side and my 2000 Camaro SS sits lower on the passenger side. I've done plenty of research and most dont know why it sites lower on that side. What I did to fix it was I purchased a spacer which goes between the coils on the springs. Lifted it right back up and make it even with the drivers side rear. I'm actually trying to find the site where I purchased the spacer. When I find it I'll let you guys know.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:49 PM

Okay guys this is what I used and it worked great to increase the ride height on the passenger side. I'm going to order my set today!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:59 PM

Seems to be a typical problem with eibach springs, but I don't know why. Mine have done it since I had the car. I'm changing to stranos next, then I can see if it's the springs fault or if it is just shoddy workmanship and placing of hte spring mount.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by scof0elife
Okay guys this is what I used and it worked great to increase the ride height on the passenger side. I'm going to order my set today!
This, what????

Spring spacers (between the coils) are a bad idea and put localized stress on the spring coils. Spring fatigue and failure could result.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
This, what????

Spring spacers (between the coils) are a bad idea and put localized stress on the spring coils. Spring fatigue and failure could result.
I few people run it on there cars and they seemed fine. I myself ran it on my last Camaro for a couple years and no problems at all.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:14 AM

its not the springs. ive installed 2 sets, and rotated the front 2 from side to side. i had the same issue with the stock sprigns. i think it was in the manuracturing of the car. so if you are just correcting a manufacturer defect, and on one side - the spring is already more compresed, then correcting the other side should have no negative reprocussions. the spacers arent going between the coils, they are going between the spring isolator and the shock seat, or the seat at the top ball joint.

Originally Posted by scof0elife
what is what you used? i have been looking ot get a spacer, but i cant find where.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon02SS
its not the springs. ive installed 2 sets, and rotated the front 2 from side to side. i had the same issue with the stock sprigns. i think it was in the manuracturing of the car. so if you are just correcting a manufacturer defect, and on one side - the spring is already more compresed, then correcting the other side should have no negative reprocussions. the spacers arent going between the coils, they are going between the spring isolator and the shock seat, or the seat at the top ball joint.

what is what you used? i have been looking ot get a spacer, but i cant find where.
The guy I quoted said "between the coils". That's what I was referring to. They are a terrible idea and bad for the spring, no matter if someone says they had no problem with them. It's a shade tree fix and dangerous.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:22 AM

The guy I quoted said "between the coils". That's what I was referring to. They are a terrible idea and bad for the spring, no matter if someone says they had no problem with them. It's a shade tree fix and dangerous.
agreed. but i think they were just mistaken, that would be terrilble for handleing. i just want a spacer for between the isolator and the seat.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 AM

This is what I used

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...o-20/ref=nosim

What I did was place 2 on one spring so the compression is equal instead of placing 1 only cause one side of the spring would be compressed and the other no.

This is what I did and it worked great for years. Just wanted to put in my 0.02 cents in. Have a great day guys!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:40 AM

i would be weary of doing this. in essance, you are shortening your spring and would make the ride much harsher. i can see how it is an easy fast fix though.

Quick Reply: ride height problem