Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Rod end LCA/PHB vs poly ball/bushing LCA/PHB

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Question Rod end LCA/PHB vs poly ball/bushing LCA/PHB

I'm a little undecided on whether or not the extra ~$120 or so is worth it for all rod end rear suspension vs poly-ball/poly bushing (poly ball in LCA and poly bushing in adjustable PHB).

This looks like an awesome setup (Strano deal, UMI);
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=95&ModelID=2

....is it worth it or should I go with a cheaper poly ball LCA and poly bushing PHB?

Sorry to ask questions but Sam is busy and hard to reach. I may even consider putting rubber bushings in my Lakewood LCA's instead of upgrading to fully articulating LCA's. I've read up on this some though and it seems those who've gone all rod end in the rear are really happy with it.

Of course there may be an option of non adjustable rod end LCA's and single adjustable rod end PHB that would be cheaper than Strano's UMI deal. I may upgrade to a 12 bolt in the future so could that have any bearing on my decision?

Think I'm going with Koni SA's as much as I'd like DA's ...just can't justify the expense when it's probably not going to make a huge difference with my stiff Eibach Pro Kit to have adjustability in compression. Plus I hear the DA's aren't as durable, and I notice Sam Strano doesn't even offer them. Sheesh this decision is wearing me out ...too many pros/cons of every suspension decision.

Anyway bottom line is .... do you all think "rod end" is worth it in the rear? What about noise, will it be a LOT worse?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:22 PM

Lightbulb

IMO, I would get the poly-ball bushing over the regular rod-ends!

And with the PHB get rod-ends, no noise problems whatsoever in that location!

Been there, done that, with both!

Last edited by bluz28; 06-27-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:32 PM

Question

Originally Posted by bluz28
IMO, I would get the poly-ball bushing over the regular rod-ends!

And with the PHB get rod-ends, no noise problems whatsoever in that location!

Been there, done that, with both!
Why would you choose poly-ball over rod end for the LCA's? Seems like rod-end offers easier articulation, no? Maybe you are referring to noise? Also, why do you need adjustment in LCA's? In case you'd add a 12 bolt later or something? ...or does adjustment in the LCA help with relocation brackets? Forgive me if it "looks obvious" but I just don't get under the car much. Thanks btw, you've been an invaluable source of info Blue. btw, I ran out of patience on researching shocks and finally ordered the Koni 4/4 SA set from Sam Stranos. Didn't get to speak with him but ordered from the website at $835 (on special through June 30th). I feel pretty confident that was my best and most practical choice.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:55 PM

You don't need adjustment in LCAs. "Adjustable" LCAs are only adjustable because rod ends are threaded.

And he's right, there's no downside to rod ends in the PHB. Just make sure whatever vendor you pick, that they use top quality rod ends. I got mine from unbalancedengineering.com, top quality products.

You will likely be annoyed at the noise from the LCAs in that Strano package. A poly ball or poly/rod LCA would be better for a street car.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:41 AM

Thumbs up

The poly-ball bushings are perfectly quiet, at least as quiet as stock.
And IMO, offer great articulation. A combination you not going to get from regular rod-end LCA. And the only other LCA's that offer that combination is what I currently have; DKT LCA's with Johnny Joint ends.

Regular rod-end LCA's do offer great articulation, if you have rod-ends on both ends of the LCA's. And they do transfer and audible increase in road noise, even when new. Their still a good option, just not to me.

And normally you don't need any length adjustment, that's just a side benefit of rod-ends being replaceable; which is the primary reason.

FYI, poly/rod-end LCA's cut down on noise transfer, but limit articulation too much .
Not an exceptable option to me, how about you?

Last edited by bluz28; 06-28-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:36 AM

Yeah I thought the poly/rod-end LCA's looked silly. Just a compromise obviously but too much of a compromise in articulation. Seems like rod end all around would be the best performer but if it's at the expense of road noise in the LCA's then I'd rather go with the poly ball versions.

So for the adj PHB what do you all really recommend? I don't want to cheap out and not have a good upgrade but at the same time I don't want to throw money away on something I don't need that might be overkill. Thanks for your help Bud n Blue.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:21 AM

I can't agree on poly/rod limiting articulation, a rod end in an LCA has the ability to rotate probably 30 degrees in each direction. Much more than however much body roll/axle rotation you will ever see.

As far as recommendations, see my post above, but just reading the specs on any vendor's website will tell you all you need to know - tube material, diam and wall thickness, and rod end type. They are pretty much all DOM mild steel 1.25 x .120. I'd stay away from any part that has additional adjusters between rod end and tube like this or this.

And keep in mind you'll need a couple of big wrenches to set the PHB length.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:41 AM

Question

Originally Posted by Bud M
I can't agree on poly/rod limiting articulation, a rod end in an LCA has the ability to rotate probably 30 degrees in each direction. Much more than however much body roll/axle rotation you will ever see.

As far as recommendations, see my post above, but just reading the specs on any vendor's website will tell you all you need to know - tube material, diam and wall thickness, and rod end type. They are pretty much all DOM mild steel 1.25 x .120. I'd stay away from any part that has additional adjusters between rod end and tube like this or this.

When it's a poly bushing in one end and rod end in the other it seems like it could only articulate well at one end, just seems silly to me and also that it would be hard on the LCA. So which one from unbalanced engineering do you have? What type of adjusters ARE ok and what's wrong with those? Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Former Vendor

The only way you will get proper articulation out of a poly/rod control arm is if you install the rod end on the chassis side. If the hard poly is on the chassis side you will still have bushing bind as it is that side that need to articulate the most. We have several different lower control arms and several different panhard rods that will suite your needs. I would recommend either calling us on Monday or PM us your phone number and we will get a hold of you so we can talk about what you are really trying to achieve with the car and help guide you into the correct direction.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by hotpart
The only way you will get proper articulation out of a poly/rod control arm is if you install the rod end on the chassis side. If the hard poly is on the chassis side you will still have bushing bind as it is that side that need to articulate the most. We have several different lower control arms and several different panhard rods that will suite your needs. I would recommend either calling us on Monday or PM us your phone number and we will get a hold of you so we can talk about what you are really trying to achieve with the car and help guide you into the correct direction.
Thanks. LOL it ironic that you post because I have pretty much decided these are the way I'm going to go:
http://www.hotpart.com/shop/index.ph...ct_detail&p=42
...seems like they'd be good all around, not too noisy but good articulation, and pretty good price too. Now I just need to decide on the PHB. I figure I'll be doing business with you so elaborate here if you want to, thank you.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by canbaufo
When it's a poly bushing in one end and rod end in the other it seems like it could only articulate well at one end, just seems silly to me and also that it would be hard on the LCA. So which one from unbalanced engineering do you have? What type of adjusters ARE ok and what's wrong with those? Sorry for the confusion.
Think about it for a minute. Why would it matter which end has a pivot as long as the pivot allow a high enough angle to allow for rotation between body and axle? One way the axle pivots, the other way the LCAs and axle pivot together. In the end, all that matters is that the axle pivots freely.

I have the rod end phb from UE, its very well made and has high quality rod ends. Also I have BMR rubber/poly LCAs.

No need to apologize, there's nothing wrong with trying to gather as much info as possible to make an informed buying decision. Ask anyone who's bought more than one of the same aftermarket part because the first one ended up being the wrong one.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:57 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bud M

The only reason for my bold poly/rod statement is because it's what I've experienced firsthand on my own car. I wish I could say otherwise but I can't; it did limit articulation on my car.