Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Roll Bar vs swaybar 60 ft. times?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 05:24 AM

Roll Bar vs swaybar 60 ft. times?

I'm installing a rollbar this winter(6pt) and was considering buying a drag swaybar. my 60ft times are 1.5's but the car twists quite a bit, I need the cage for track purposes and was told by other guys at the track that a rollbar will help take the twist out , should I invest in a drag sway bar aswell, I'm running the stocker right now
Old 10-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Administrator

I think the guy at the track may have confused you. A 6pt roll bar that pretects you in a roll-over may provide some stiffening of the chassis, and prevent the unibody from flexing (twisting) as much. But that's the body actually twisting in torsion between the front and rear subframes.

It sounds like your problem is the body is rolling relative to the rear axle. The right rear of the body is dropping and the left front corner is coming up. Car is all over the track, hard to keep it in a straight line on the launch. That can be controlled somewhat by an air bag in the right rear spring, or better by using an extremely stiff rear sway bar. That is controlling body "roll", so the guy at the track may have been calling it a roll bar.

There are a couple different designs for the rear sway bar - either a large diameter replacement for the stock sway bar, or the Wolfe style that needs to be attached to the rear axle and the upper body.