Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

rotors and brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:38 AM

The basic issue I have with your stance is simple. You changed both pads and rotors together and cannot tell which part had what effect. Rotors do not fade. In fact you have *less* swept area for the pad to grip than with a slotted only or blank rotor.

Pads fade, rotors do not. You have not brake temp paint on the rotor, and if you did you'd see that your claim is simply not true. And I can assure you if drilled discs ran cooler you'd see them on race cars to this day, espeically road-race cars since they pound brakes so hard and so long... You don't, because they don't run cooler. It's hype, and a myth.

Did you know the first company to drill discs was Porsche? They did it on 908 Hillclimb cars to save mass. Meanwhile the road-race versions did not have drilled discs. And for a while in the '80's and '90's you'd see drilled discs on race cars, but don't any longer as they learned it wasn't helpful. And that was on full blown racing rotors, not normal rotors that are modified and cut later (which weakens them) like what you have on your car.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:06 PM

Dumb *** Z06 engineers!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 AM

Well, I guess if GM does it, it must be perfect. Just like the stock shocks that we all know suck, and the interiors that look like the could have come from a cracker-jack box.....

Did you consider the Z51 has 13.4" rotors, and the Z06 has 14" brake rotors? The Z06 has less mass than an F-body and on both cars the rear brakes also share in the work much more? They can afford to give up a little swept area more than we can. That said, those dumb-*** engineers on the race cars *don't* use drilled rotors.... hmmm. I wonder which car is more marketing and which car is more performance based.

How about the fact the Z06 uses six individual pads on each front caliper, but the ZR1 doesn't, and the race cars don't. I guess that was about the max performance too.

I understand how tempting it is to make a judgement based on what you see on another car. But without considering the details, it's akin to buying a set of tires because they look cool and not considering how they perform.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 11-11-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 PM

nascar brakes a little help for ya Sam

http://premium.nascar.com/2001/TECH/...kes/index.html