Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Rotors and Pads replacing: I think they were playing me for a sucker

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 08:35 PM

Rotors and Pads replacing: I think they were playing me for a sucker

That's the impression I got from Midas. I think these guys figured I would just hand over my money.

I went to Midas to see if they would install rotors and pads if I brought in the parts. I figured if I purchased them from AutoZone, I could have them do it (with an important assembly like brakes I would rather someone that knows what he's doing). Well, the manager said they couldn't install outside parts. Then I asked them if they had replacement parts to install. First he began quoting expensive slotted and drilled rotors. I responded by telling him the car wasn't auto crossed or road raced, so just blank rotors was sufficient. He then proceeded to say they could do the front and back. It would take about $500 - $600 in parts then with labor I was looking at about $800 - $900 dollars total. This seems high?

If I can get rotors from AutoZone for about $200 ($40 fronts, $60 rears) then pads for approximately $200. Say about $150 for labor. That's $550, far short of Midas' $800 to $900 approximation. I think I was being played for a sucker!

Am I over looking something or should I be able to get new pads and rotors for around $600?

BTW, they were going to do an "inspection", and they couldn't print out an estimate without it.

Last edited by Mister Will; 09-11-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:39 PM

Re: Rotors and Pads replacing: I think they were playing me for a sucker

Buy a haynes/chilton manual and do it yourself.... It pretty easy....
Old 09-12-2004, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Will
I think I was being played for a sucker!
You were. Rotor and pad replacement is a pretty simple job. If you have a jack and some stands and a manual you can easily do it yourself.
It's not a bad idea to get a bottle of brake fluid and a helper and bleed the brakes when you're done.
I wouldn't recommend the Autozone PF pads, though. I'd spend a bit more and get EBCs or Hawks.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:28 AM

OMG!! They are full of crap!! I cant believe that price! I think I payed like $ 250 for rotors and z rated pads. I would say that brakes are one of the easiest jobs that you can do on f-bodys. Like everyone is saying ,get a maual if you need one. I didn't, just figured it out as I went along If I remember correctly the front calipers use 2 allen bolts and the back ,2 regular bolts then pull them off. Take out old pads, use a pair of channel lock plyers and push the pistons in the calipers so that the new pads ( having more pad thickness) will be far enough apart to fit on the rotors. Replacing the rotors is as easy as taking old off and putting new on. Put it all back togeather and take her for a spin. Also if you dont take the lines off when doing the brakes you do not need to bleed them. I am not sure what year you have but the info is pretty similar for most cars.

Last edited by camarokid24; 09-16-2004 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:59 AM

definately ripping you off...the meineke up the street charged me $800 to do the rear calipers/pads/rotors when i first got my car and here i am 2 years later and they need to be replaced again. rotors and pads are SIMPLE....the only reason i brought mine to meineke was cause one of the calipers was frozen and it messed everything up. this time around ill do it myself or have someone i know do it. meineke/midas are RIP OFF's. I had them do one of my o2's on my headers cause i couldnt get to it without dropping the Y they charged me $65 and didnt seal up the flange tight. i was back there 2 days later.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:17 AM

RIP OFF

Autozone blanks are 49.99 each. Buy good pads online, store pads aren't usually as good. Hawk HPS or PBR for LS1s.

It is so easy to chang ethe rotors and pads. I did it with no prior experience and a Haynes manual. Pretty simple, just get the wheel off, undo the 2 bolts that hold the caliper to everything else, slide the old rotor off and the new one one, replace the pads, and put it all back together.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:07 AM

Everyone is right. Rotors and pads are SO EASY! Just make sure that when you get new rotors to have them turned by a machine shop prior to installing them on the car. Depending on what you get, they may have already been turned from the manufacturer. Just check to be certain.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:20 PM

I did my own brakes too. Took me 4 hrs for my C5 front conversion and I had never touched a brake part in my life. The backs took about 1-1.5 hrs total for both. If you care about the appearance of your brakes, (I somewhat do because they are very visable) dont go with the cheap Aimco rotors from AutoZone. My C5 fronts look great still and have no rust but the center section/hub area on my Aimco backs are pretty much all rust except where the pad and caliper grab the rotor. At $22/rotor what can you expect?
Old 09-20-2004, 03:04 PM

Yeah...they're bastards.

If you don't want to do them yourselves, then shop around. I agree brakes are an important part of your system...but any mom and pop (if you trust them) can do the work. It doesn't have to be a chain store. They claim that bleeding is the "skilled" part of the process.

Funny thing when I go to a random tire shop to patch a leak in the tire, they inspect the pads and tell me they need to be replaced. Even though I have like 1/2" of clearance b/w the squeal bracket and the rotor..go figure.

So, hope you feel better, but your gut feeling is correct.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by goin2dc
Everyone is right. Rotors and pads are SO EASY! Just make sure that when you get new rotors to have them turned by a machine shop prior to installing them on the car. Depending on what you get, they may have already been turned from the manufacturer. Just check to be certain.

You actually should NOT turn your rotors unless they are physically warped, but even then it's jyst a band aid. Turning your rotors weakens them, and just reduces their life span. Hit the rotors with some good sand paper to just give them a nice cross hatch, and you're good to go.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:32 PM

I guess by now you've figured out that Midas was trying to screw you, without even the courtesy of a reach-around.

Personally, I run the AutoZone rotors, $39 / each, and a set of Raybestos ceramic pads ($150 / all 4 corners). No dust, no squeal, great stopping power, and lifetime replacement on the pads.

www.installuniversity.com <--- go there for instructions on changing the pads/rotors. It's an easy job. First time you do it, allow 2 hours. After that, you can do the entire car in under an hour.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:08 AM

Like everybody else said, do them yourself. My personal "philosophy" is that no one is going to be more careful then you, when it comes to working on your car. I can't remember the last time somebody turned a wrench for me outside of the ring and pinion gear.

Take the 700 dollars you'll be saving and bump those dyno numbers up even more!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:09 PM

I can't see how it would take them longer than about 2 hours on avg.. even at $100/hr, thats only $200...

Find a reputable shop to do it for you..
Old 09-24-2004, 10:04 PM

They were just trying to swindle you. Rotors are just another step past changing the pads, all you do is take them off, or hit them off with a rubber mallet if they're stuck fast, and put the new ones on. Main things to look out for is to keep an eye on your brake fluid level in the reservoir, keep grease and oils off the pads and rotors (use brake cleaner once you've installed the parts), and use anti-squeal stuff moderately on the backs of the pads. It's also a good idea to bleed the brakes while you're at it, the fluid in the lines gets quite gunked up and turns dark over time, just get a chepo bleeder kit with a plastic canister thingy and a tube, and it's a really easy job too.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:41 PM

Do it yourself, but if you dont want to then take it somewhere else.
Midas are scammers everyone that i know that has ever gone there has gotten ripped off.

Quick Reply: Rotors and Pads replacing: I think they were playing me for a sucker