Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Ruined caliper or brake line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 PM

Ruined caliper or brake line?

On my rear brake on the driver side, it burns down the outside of the brake for some reason, so it always ends up ruining the outside edge of my disc. I figured it was just old equipment, but today it got ridiculous. I usually just replace the pads as soon as they start to scrape (which usually takes about 6 months). So today I go to change the pads and the c clamp will not compress the brakes at all . I think maybe I can't get a good grip because my finger is broke so I have two other guys try, with no results. So I had to unbolt the brake line from the back of the caliper just a little bit so a few drops come out before it will let me compress the caliper enough to fit back on the car.

Also, I'm not sure what the slider is, but I just read on another thread and someone mentioned it. I'm assuming it is the part the slid off easily on my caliper I replaced on the other side about a month ago, so maybe I can re lube that part and I'll be good.

So I'm assuming that the caliper has seen it's last good days. Maybe the brake line has a kink in it? Please help me out here I've got a week for spring break to fix this.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2008, 11:14 PM

Calipers have to float on the rotor or they will wear the pads and rotor wrong. The pins and bushings the rotor floats on have to be in good shape and lubed or they will not center themselves. Thats probably the nature of your problem. It might just be time to buy new calipers if yours are too locked up and worn out.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:03 AM

So am I looking for part number 4 from this pic to slide freely? Cause when my new caliper I bought did this I was really surprised.

http://shbox.com/1/rear_caliper.jpg
Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Assuming "burns down the outside of the brake" means the outside pad is wearing out prematurely, there's been a problem for quite a while. The piston has been sticking in the cylinder, or the caliper was not sliding freely on the guides, preventing the pressure on the pad from releasing fully. The fact that you had to replace the pads every 6 months should have alerted you to that problem.

The caliper has to be able to "float" over the rotor as Kevin pointed out.