Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

S&W SFC and Torque Arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 AM

S&W SFC and Torque Arm

Have any of you used this S&W Racecars subframe connector and torque arm kit:

[URL="http://www.swracecars.com/store/93-02-Camaro-/-Firebird-Bolt-On-Sub-Frame-Connectors-OSCARItem_71=40-610.aspx"]?

I like how it ties the front to the back, and also the floorpans and crossmember together. My only concern is driveshaft and exhaust clearance around the crossmember. My Pacesetter Y-Pipe tucks up nicely, but I would hate to spend all that money only to find that it hits. Also, I have a 3.5" diameter aluminum driveshaft, so that is another space consuming part.

Anyone have experience with this setup?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Anybody???
Old 09-04-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by sleeperLT1Z28
fixed your link
Old 09-04-2008, 07:57 PM

It looks like you might have to drill into the subframe for that. The front mounts don't line up with existing holes in the front subframe. You can see where the holes are here:

http://marylandspeed.com/umi-perform...04-p-1461.html
Old 09-06-2008, 01:05 AM

I like the general idea but it looks really under-engineeered. It's hard to tell with that crappy photo, but the brackets for the ds loop and cross brace look pretty flimsy.
You're gonna have to decide whether you want to be the guinea pig on this one. At that price, I'd pass.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:38 PM

go with someone proven, BMR, UMI, etc.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bud M
I like the general idea but it looks really under-engineeered. It's hard to tell with that crappy photo, but the brackets for the ds loop and cross brace look pretty flimsy.
You're gonna have to decide whether you want to be the guinea pig on this one. At that price, I'd pass.

Your kidding right??

Go to a NHRA event where Stock Eliminator is run and look under a few cars, I bet 1 out of 3 have this exact or same style set-up underneath it. These cars are killers in the 60-foot department too.

Call S&W and ask them your question.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 PM

No, I wasn't kidding. I'm not an engineer, but looking at the way the crossbar mounts onto what are basically single bolt pivots on the subframe connectors, same for the the ds loop, and the way the cross brace's body mounts and rear control arm mounts are made look crude to me. And it is a crappy photo.

Do YOU have these parts on your car?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 AM

I have 2 F-bodies and YES one of them does have S&W parts on it, the car is not done however when its done having a substandard rear suspension set-up is the least of my concerns. I work on a 1998 firebird LT1 nhra legal stocker and we've been 1.2 sixty foots and ran 10.4 in legal trim.

My other F-body has all Edelbrock stuff under it (the same stuff everybody calls junk or says it doesn't work). It has been mid 1.5 sixty foots on motor (only 308 rwhp) and now 1.4 sixty foots on the hose
Old 09-10-2008, 10:13 AM

It sounds like you're evading the question. Do you have this subframe kit on your car? If so, how about some pics? If these are quality parts we'd all like have a look at them.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:54 AM

As stated above, YES I have S&W suspension, subframe and every other part S&W sells for an F-body (except lower control arms). You can stop by my shop anytime after its done to inspect it yourself, or if you can wait until the car gets back from finish painted I'll snap you pictures and send them directly to you for your inspection and approval.

Or maybe you should take the initiative and contact S&W for specs and better images of it than to take my word for it?!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM

Don't get you panties in a wad, tomcowle. What you stated above is that one of your cars has S&W parts on it, not that you have these subframe connectors. How would I know what parts you have?

And why are you so worried about what I think about S&W products?

As for taking the initiative, its really up to the seller to convince me to buy their product, something that S&W's competitors do a much better job of. Ever see the photos on UMI/Spohn/BMR's websites? I don't have to guess how well their products are made, I can see for myself. Maybe S&W should take the initiative and get someone with a decent camera to take some decent photos and put them on a decent webpage with properly edited ad copy (like what is 1-1/2² x .120² wall steel tubing? My calculator comes up with 2.25 x .0144. I doubt they use that to make their SFCs) to showcase their products.

The original post asked if anyone has these parts. Why don't you just post your opinion and the OP can make his decision?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bud M
It sounds like you're evading the question. Do you have this subframe kit on your car? If so, how about some pics? If these are quality parts we'd all like have a look at them.
My buddies that run LT1 stockers all run it. They range from 1.29-1.27 60's

They system sure works good.

Go to class racer and ask...I bet 8 out of 10 use that exact system. And most will be in the low 1.30's......

I personally don't have the whole thing but a few things from S&W....they are great to deal with and most times I get my stuff within 2 days from them.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 PM

BudM, unremarkable...

As per BudM request: SleeperZ, they are nice quality and "flimsy" is a highly inaccurate term for the product. They are more work and welding to install than most sfc's packages however the results speak for themselves. To answer part 2 of your question, I honestly don't know if you will have interference issues, the Stocker I work on has just collector extensions and no exhaust.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 PM

are you talking about the same thing,? states no welding

Name:  406102-1.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  9.0 KB

Designed to be 100% bolt on for your 93-02 Camaro / Firebird coupe (does not fit convertible), this kit requires no welding and can be installed using hand tools. This kit also clears all stock exhaust components while closely following the floor pan contour assuring you a close fit and maximum ground clearance. This is the only kit on the market which ties the subframes, rockers and floor pan into one assembly! The included crossmember features a mount for S&W¹s adjustable torque arm which can be purchased separately and installed along with the subframe connectors and crossmember, or you can retain your O.E.M.torque arm and mount. The connectors and crossmember are fabricated from1-1/2² x .120² wall steel tubing and feature waterjet cut brackets for exact fit. These components are hand assembled on a custom welding fixture and MIG welded for high strength and ease of installation. All of the above components are powder coated black for a long lasting, durable and attractive finish.

"1-1/2² x .120² wall steel tubing " I mess with steel tubing and other ,Haven't seen it referred to like this

Quick Reply: S&W SFC and Torque Arm