Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

SFC Bolt On or Weld On

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 04:49 PM

SFC Bolt On or Weld On

Looking into some Subframe Connectors in the near future for my 00' Z28, probably should have got them about 15 mods ago. I'm pretty sure weld on is the way to go, however want some other opinions. Also which brand out there is the best. Thanks
Old 11-05-2005, 04:59 PM

Re: SFC Bolt On or Weld On

if you are going to do it yourself, bolt on. otherwise weld on. make sure they disconnect the battery so they dont fry the pcm or any other damage.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:12 AM

I did weld-on SFCs, so I can't comment upon bolt-ons. I should have done SFCs as my first mod. My Z28 feels much more stable and taut with less creaks. You can get a decent set for about $100...
Old 11-06-2005, 12:26 PM

Try a search. There's a lot of information available on SFCs.

Good luck.
Ben T.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:29 PM

We always recommend weld ons. I've seen issues with bolt ons as well as many other users. We only carry weld ons for good reason. Get a set before it's too late. YOu'll be happy you did.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:42 PM

Thanks, your posts supported my belief that I need weld on SFC's, now which brand should I get, also note that my car is lowered 1 1/2", will clearance be an issue. I'm looking at BMR as my choice right now;

BMR Low Clearance
G2
Hotchkis
Spohn

Is there any noticeable differences between these brands.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ZULATER454
also note that my car is lowered 1 1/2", will clearance be an issue. I'm looking at BMR as my choice right now;
My car isn't lowered, but I have BMR boxed SFCs under my car now and they're great. I probably lost maybe 1/4" (1/2" at the most) of ground clearance with these.

You're advised to use tubular SFCs if your car is lowered because they're hidden behind part of the frame, but I honestly couldn't see a mildly lowered F-Body having any ground clearance issues with the boxed SFCs.

Like the other guys said, weld them in. If you're not doing it yourself, find someone who knows exactly what they're doing. You may have to pay over $100 for the install, but you'll get your money's worth from them when they're installed perfectly.

Last edited by SFB767; 11-06-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by SFB767
My car isn't lowered, but I have BMR boxed SFCs under my car now and they're great. I probably lost maybe 1/4" (1/2" at the most) of ground clearance with these.

You're advised to use tubular SFCs if your car is lowered because they're hidden behind part of the frame, but I honestly couldn't see a mildly lowered F-Body having any ground clearance issues with the boxed SFCs.

Like the other guys said, weld them in. If you're not doing it yourself, find someone who knows exactly what they're doing. You may have to pay over $100 for the install, but you'll get your money's worth from them when they're installed perfectly.
I'll install 20 pair a week around classes for that price! Seriously, bolt them in and then drive to a shop and have them welded to your car. It's not that big of a deal. I really don't see how a competent welder could ever mess the install up, but then again people jack their cars off the ground under body panels too... so who knows.

My take is this, if you're going to own an F-body you should AT LEAST be able to bolt an item such as this on. If you're in the other group of f-body owners who pay for such an install, then just drop your car off at a shop with a blank signed check and they'll take care of everything.

Pick your favorite set. Bolt them on. Drive to a shop and then have them welded in place. Fifty bucks should more than take care of the welding if you don't own your own welder.

Just is this my opinion. No need for anyone to be offended...

Ben T.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:09 PM

If you go with tubulars, most out there are virtually the same. It'll come down to quality and price. A major factor to take into consideration is how much ground clearance is sacrificed. Ideally you don't want any. That was one criteria when making ours. Do a little research to make sure the ones you want are priced well and do not sacrifice any clearance.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:27 PM

I would do Bolt-On's and weld them in. It is more expensive, but fitment is much easier.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:08 AM

Weld in SFCs is the only way to go. Bolt holes can get bigger over time, not saying it will, but it can. Welding them in is permenit as long as it was done correctly. They are also cheaper, but labor will cost you more.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:17 PM

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...t=bolt+SFC%27s

Read what Injuneer wrote. I was thinking about getting bolt-ons, just because it'd be easier. Just remember, bolts can loosten.....
Old 11-08-2005, 10:14 PM

Look into UMI Performance, they offer awesome bolt and weld in SFC's...some of the best bolt ons on the market IMO