Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

SFCs/LCAs installed...now possible problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:37 PM

Exclamation SFCs/LCAs installed...now possible problem?

Got the stuff installed and MAN does it feel 10x better. BUT...it seems like the car now pulls to the right. I just had it aligned not even a month ago. Is it possible that something could be off a bit to cause this? I followed the instructions to the T. It said it would take 2-4hrs for the LCAs, and 2hrs for the SFCs....I had it all done in an hour and 15min. It was cake. Used PB blaster on the bolts and they all came out easier than anything I've ever seen.

The only problem I ran into was that the drivers side SFC needed to be flexed around a bit to line up with the front subframe holes. Is that bad? Could that cause it to pull? I'm not 100% certain it is pulling...around here, the roads are so bad it's hard to tell, but it seems like it is. I have a 30 day warranty on my alignment, so if my time is not out on that yet, I'll try to take it in monday to get the alignment checked, but I wanna make sure I don't just need to make an adjustment myself. Any ideas?
Old 03-24-2007, 10:15 PM

You have to make sure you aren't driving on a crowned road.

Otherwise, when everything gets torqued down you need the weight on the wheels, so not jackstands under the frame, etc. with the wheels hanging. You need the car resting in it's normal position when you tighten the screws for the LCAs and SFCs.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
You have to make sure you aren't driving on a crowned road.

Otherwise, when everything gets torqued down you need the weight on the wheels, so not jackstands under the frame, etc. with the wheels hanging. You need the car resting in it's normal position when you tighten the screws for the LCAs and SFCs.

That's how I did it, but I'm going to go back over it again tomorrow and be sure. I've been getting conflicting reports of whether or not installing SFC's will require you to get an alignment. People are saying yes, other people are telling me no. So, I'm going to back off and retorque the bolts tomorrow, and if that doesn't change anything, I'll go back and have the alignment checked monday. I'm still not positive it's even pulling but I think it is...could just be paranoia..
Old 03-24-2007, 11:31 PM

You don't need to do an alignment after installing SFCs.
The only reason I can imagine LCAs causing a pull is if they are not equal length which is unlikely unless they are rod end LCAs.
Assumingyou still have your stock LCAs, you could put them back on with the SFCs, that would help you identify the problem.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:04 AM

I'll probably try that if the problem doesn't go away. I'm just hoping maybe I find that something, somehow, was in a bind when I torqued it down, but I don't see how. Well, best scenario would be that I'm imagining it all, but I hate to wear down my new tires while I find out if in fact it is misaligned somehow.

Last edited by Rebelphotog96; 03-25-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:06 PM

I just remembered something..... When I installed the drivers side SFC, I had to flex the front bracket over a bit to make it line up. It needed to be pushed away from the center of the car for it to line up. Could this SFC have had a crooked bracket on it and when I flexed it into place, it somehow is pulling the car out of alignment...maybe a rear tire being flexed one way or another?

I have an appointment to get the car back on the alignment rack tomorrow at 3. If they don't find anything, the only other thing I can think of would be brakes--maybe have the E-brake sticking or something. So I'll check that, and if it still hasn't gone away, I'll throw the stock LCAs back on and see if it makes a difference. The UMI LCAs are both the same length and neither wheel sits farther back or forward than the other, so I don't know how it could be anything but front end alignement or a sticky brake. Hopefully I'll know for sure by tomorrow.