Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Shock/Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Shock/Spring Question

Can you buy shocks with the springs already installed on them as a unit for 4th gens? Like a ready to bolt on type of package? Looking into getting some bilstein hd's this year but don't see them sold that way. Also wondering about the possibility of just reusing the springs I have...but they're 15 years old, as are the shocks. Any way to tell if they're shot? I want to do this myself...nobody's turned a wrench on this car but me since I've had it, and I'd rather do it myself, I'm just not sure about putting the shocks/springs together...
Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 PM

Re: Shock/Spring Question

Originally Posted by z0s0
Can you buy shocks with the springs already installed on them as a unit for 4th gens? Like a ready to bolt on type of package? Looking into getting some bilstein hd's this year but don't see them sold that way. Also wondering about the possibility of just reusing the springs I have...but they're 15 years old, as are the shocks. Any way to tell if they're shot? I want to do this myself...nobody's turned a wrench on this car but me since I've had it, and I'd rather do it myself, I'm just not sure about putting the shocks/springs together...
This is not a difficult task at all. The Bilsteins do not come with the lower spring perch, so you'll need to reuse the ones from your stock shocks (front only.) The top nut is usually rusted to the top of the shock shaft, requiring the use of a cutoff wheel for removal. In my case, the upper shock mounts were rotted and fused to the shaft, so you may want to plan on replacing those as well. As long as you remember to set up the spring compressor on the front units and crank it down a bit BEFORE you set about removing/cutting off the top nut, there's little to no chance of you injuring yourself or screwing anything up.

Last edited by TD95Z; 03-18-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Administrator

It's not that hard to break down the stockers and reassemble the new parts. You should get new upper seats, since they rot and the shock mount portion can tear loose from the rest of the seat. The top nut on the shock shaft will be rusted solid, and you will probably have to cut the shock shaft to take things apart.

Takes a simple strut compressor (even though they aren't struts).

I have an online guide. Just ignore the stuff that's peculiar to the QA1 shocks.

http://www.injuneer.com/HALEibch.html

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photos/shk02.jpg

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photos/shk01.jpg
Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the info guys..I'm probably going to reuse my stock springs and get bilsteins...is this dumb? Meaning, is that a waste of a good shock, and would I be better off with a cheaper shock? Reason for going with this is I have a somewhat steep driveway with a lip at the top..I don't want to lower it with eibach or similar springs, it would suck if I started scraping and had to raise it again. What is driving this whole thing is that my stock shocks are shot and need to be replaced but I have no idea how to tell if the stock springs are "reusable". The price for new "stock height" springs plus the bilsteins is throwing my upgrade budget through the roof...I need new brakes and wheels/tires too... And as for the bilsteins..I see there are "SLP" bilsteins and bilstein hd's...with the hd's seeming to be a bit more in cost. Is there a difference? Can either of these shocks be used with stock height springs?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:39 PM

Check with Sam Strano on that one. I seem to recall reading in one of his posts that the Bilsteins work well with stock springs.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Figured I'd post a follow-up in case someone else was wondering the same thing I was and searched for it. Emailed Sam Strano and he said there's no difference between the Bilstein HD's and SLP's except for price...so I'll obviously be getting the cheaper one's (SLP). Not lowering the car because I just don't want to deal with everything else that goes with it right now so we'll just do shocks. Still on the fence as to whether I should replace the stock springs with new stock springs...I probably won't, it doesn't seem to be sagging or anything. So shocks and top mounts.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 PM

z0s0, let me know your thoughts on the Bilstein setup when you get it on the road. I'm fine with my current ride height, but I would like to eventually replace the DeCarbons with a better damper. I don't have a Koni budget, and I'm not too keen on buying the cheaper adjustable shocks, so I've considered going the Bilstein route. I'm curious to see how they perform with the stock springs since I daily drive my car and the roads around here are not kind to lowered cars. For instance, I recently witnessed a lowered Civic having its front bumper/body kit removed by an angry Cleveland pothole.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by TD95Z
z0s0, let me know your thoughts on the Bilstein setup when you get it on the road. I'm fine with my current ride height, but I would like to eventually replace the DeCarbons with a better damper. I don't have a Koni budget, and I'm not too keen on buying the cheaper adjustable shocks, so I've considered going the Bilstein route. I'm curious to see how they perform with the stock springs since I daily drive my car and the roads around here are not kind to lowered cars. For instance, I recently witnessed a lowered Civic having its front bumper/body kit removed by an angry Cleveland pothole.
I certainly will! Seems we're both in the same boat. The bilsteins are as much money as I'd ever spend on shocks for this..proabably a bit more but I've heard too many good things about them. As for the adjustables...I'd probably toy with the settings once or twice and never touch them again, lol. Due to the road conditions here (upstate ny, similar to cleveland) and the fact the the Z sometimes does double duty as a weekend grocery-getter/kid hauler (my kids love it), I'm not lowering it. Also, mine will most likely never see the track...in reality I don't have the time or budget for that. I've just been going through the car (motor first last year, replaced the head gaskets and had the heads redone along w/new opti/wp, k&n and magnaflow catback, and new brakes/shocks/wheels/tires this year) since I got her 2 years ago. In other words, just trying to keep her highly maintained (keep it safe for the kids) while doing some slight mods (for dad ). On a side note, I got a brand new set of brakemotive slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads from brakemotive last week, total was $175 out the door. The quality and packaging completely exceeded my expectations. I'll be putting those on too the same time I do the shocks, and I'll post an initial review of those as well.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:13 PM

The slp beilstein shocks are valved for the spring/ shock combo on certain ls1 model f-body's which was a 1in drop iirc.But I talked to sam strain a couple days ago and he said that the regular hd's and slp's are the same now?