Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Shocks and Springs on 4th Gen...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 04:49 PM
dtp

Shocks and Springs on 4th Gen...

Recently I've been hearing weird noises from the back of my car, particularly on turns and on bumps. I'm guessing a shock is going out and perhaps I should change springs while I'm at it.

Anyone have a good way to diagnose bad shocks? I figured since the sound happens on bumps and it seems to be coming from the back, it seems like a bad shock and it's getting really annoying.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:37 AM

Re: Shocks and Springs on 4th Gen...

Try bouncing the car by hand. Get it going good then stop. If the car continues to bounce 3 or more times its weak shocks.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:47 AM
dtp

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Try bouncing the car by hand. Get it going good then stop. If the car continues to bounce 3 or more times its weak shocks.

Tried it and it only bounced once or 1 1/2 times. The sound is coming from the rear right (looking from the back). I can consistently get this Rrrr Rrrr sound when bouncing the car (sort of like something rubbing at some kind of joint). I had my wife bounce it while I was under the car and I just can't pinpoint the noise. I'm not sure if it's coming from the top of the shock or if some joint is squeeking. Basically it sounds like something is wearing out and it on its last leg.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:56 AM

Pull it off and look. Its easy enough to do. Also tighten all the bolts while you're at it.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:00 AM
dtp

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Pull it off and look. Its easy enough to do. Also tighten all the bolts while you're at it.
Will do, thanks for the replies.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:49 PM
dtp

Ok, I'm a newbie, I removed the shock bolts and the thing just hangs there. Do I twist it to get it to come out?

Anyway, I lowered the car a bit and bounced it a bit with the shock unhooked and the sound still seems to be there. I guess I can't jump to conclusions until I get a good look at the shock, but I'm guessing it's ok. The what else can cause a sound bouncing the car? Loose bolts, a worn rubber joint?
Old 07-10-2005, 02:20 PM
dtp

Seems like the source of the noise may be some rubber bushing or whatever it's called holding that rod that goes along the rear axel from side to side (it's held at two places along the axel by a rubber busching held in place by two nuts on a u-shaped bolt). What the heck is that thing called(sway bar?)? Anyway it doesn't seem to be the shock or the springs as far as a can tell.

Perhaps I just need to replace the bushings or maybe grease them?

Last edited by dtp; 07-10-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:42 PM
dtp

Couldn't find the right size bushings locally, but just went and lubed them with teflon/silicon lub and the sound went away completely. Damn, what a day just to spend a couple buck on lube. Beats the hell out of paying a shop 500 bucks though (replace shocks and other stuff before finding the problem...)