Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Shocks/Springs combo - performance + good ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 09:13 PM

Shocks/Springs combo - performance + good ride quality

I want a good combo that would have good performance but at the same time a good ride quality. I am leaning more on the ride quality side. I currently have sportlines and bilsteins HDs and lots of other suspension goodies. I am going to get rid of the sportlines since my cats are scraping to too much.

I was thinking of going with some Eibach pro-kit springs and some SLP Bilsteins shock or koni SA (DA) since I am looking for a soft ride. What do you guys think of this or is there a better combo for me, take into account my current suspension setup (in my sig) and wheels. Thanks guys.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:47 PM

Stay a way from the Pro kit, you will hate the ride...the best way to go and save some money is- Koni/bilstein set up from Strano Parts. I just installed a set and it is awesome. the ride quality is great, way better then stock. Plus with konis you can lower the car about 3/4" in the front. Remove the isolator from the rear springs and you are done. Just make sure you put a piece of fuel hose around the top of the rear springs in place of the isolator. This set up rocks! If you can afford an extra 200 you can put on a 35mm sway bar up front, as well. As I have done, The car will feel as it is glued to the ground... It is an awesome feeling!! http://www.stranoparts.com/index.php

http://www.stranoparts.com/show_items_cat.php
Old 05-15-2004, 11:57 PM

So what springs do you recommend then. When you say koni/bilstein do u mean koni in the front and bilstein in the rear. I currently have sportlines, will the pro kits have a similar feel? Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:09 AM

just stay with the stock springs. They are perfect for most apps. Talk to Sam, he will set in the right direction.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:43 PM

I just installed a bilstein/prokit combo and I love it. the ride is firm but smooth. bumps no longer take 10 seconds to recover from. also, I put this whole stup together for under 500 dollars whereas the koni/bilstein setup is a minimum of 600.

I am very satisfied and impressed with the bilstein/prokit setup.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by phrozen
I just installed a bilstein/prokit combo and I love it. the ride is firm but smooth. bumps no longer take 10 seconds to recover from. also, I put this whole stup together for under 500 dollars whereas the koni/bilstein setup is a minimum of 600.

I am very satisfied and impressed with the bilstein/prokit setup.
I would agree with this. I did the bilstein hd's and eibach pro kit about a month ago and love it.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Robs97Z28
Stay a way from the Pro kit, you will hate the ride...the best way to go and save some money is- Koni/bilstein set up from Strano Parts. I just installed a set and it is awesome.
Finally someone who agrees w/ me

LT1 Pro Kit looks good but isn't even as good as 1LE springs to me. 500 lb straight rate fronts w/ Konis are way better
Old 05-17-2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by wickdracer
So what springs do you recommend then. When you say koni/bilstein do u mean koni in the front and bilstein in the rear.
yes thats good.

get the SLP eibachs, they dont lower much, but they ride better then stock, and can still handle real nice.

DO NOT go with linier spring rates on the street, you will kick yourself later if you do.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:12 PM

Get the SLP Bilsteins AND the SLP springs. The two are matched to each other, and actually provide ride quality that is in my opinion better than stock, while still providing good handling. If I had been less interested in roadcourse use, I would have just run the stock suspension instead of switching to Koni shocks, but with the amount of track days that I do each year, I'm willing to sacrifice a little ride quality. Of course, the Konis with the SLP springs are still very acceptable for street use when set on a softer setting.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:45 PM

Hey but I wanted to drop my car about 1inch. So if I do this what springs would be best. Or is this not a good idea if I want a soft ride.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:54 PM

The SLP springs lower the car .5-.75" and in my opinion make the car look just right.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:57 PM

You can lower the car the same amount and have better shocks, just by putting konis in the front. Still have a better ride!! Plus the Konis are adjustable!!
Old 05-18-2004, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by Robs97Z28
Plus the Konis are adjustable!!
and for the cost of hte front two you could buy a full set of bilstiens and the springs.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:14 AM

While I love my Konis, I do not recommend them unless you are going to do significant amounts of autox or roadcourse track days.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:07 PM

if i was you i would get some stock ones and keep your HD's on there and enjoy! Cheap way and decent setup

Quick Reply: Shocks/Springs combo - performance + good ride quality