Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Shocks/Springs for smooth ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 11:06 AM

Shocks/Springs for smooth ride

Just wondering what the best combination for a smooth ride is. Michigan roads are horrible with potholes and bumps. Also I dont want to lower the car anymore, the LT's and true duals already scrape on everything, I'm not sure if the previous owner lowered the car any.

I want to feel like im a lexus if possible
Old 06-23-2006, 11:15 AM

Re: Shocks/Springs for smooth ride

Im getting konis from sam strano in about a week, ill let you know how it goes.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:05 AM

An, F-body will never feel like a luxry car thankfully. I'd hate to have that detached feeling. But I guess it depends on which Lexus model you're talking about too.

I've seen Sam suggest Koni front and 3rd gen Bilstein HD rears w/stock springs many times.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:13 PM

I am on koni's and stock springs, the ride depends on how you have them adjusted. They ride good, even when the shocks are stiffened up. Springs are whats going to make you car ride stiff and feel the bumps in the road. I would pick up a set if your looking to fine tune the ride of your car. Btw our cars will never ride like a lexus. good luck
Old 06-27-2006, 08:11 AM

Lexus..... not possible. I'd put you on a set of Bilstein HD's and be done with it...$349 for the set.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Lexus..... not possible. I'd put you on a set of Bilstein HD's and be done with it...$349 for the set.
What about Edelbrocks adjustable coilovers for the front? They say it gives a smoother ride than stock and you can adjust ride heigth up or down. i am just asking the question, as i am no expert.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by michigan2500hd
What about Edelbrocks adjustable coilovers for the front? They say it gives a smoother ride than stock and you can adjust ride heigth up or down. i am just asking the question, as i am no expert.
Are you questioning Sam Strano's advice on this?! LOL Just take the advice and be glad you weren't charged for it.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by michigan2500hd
I needed a laugh.... thank you.

Funniest thing I've heard this week, so far. First off, the shocks aren't near as good IMHO (and yes, I sell them), and they come with lowering springs installed (higher rate) and you can further lower and lose wheel travel from there with the threaded perch. Ride smoother stock? No.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:37 PM

I just installed Konis. I had stock DeCarbons and I kept the stock springs. You might think the ride quality would deteriorate with the firmer shocks but it was the opposite. The ride quality is so much better I can't believe I'm in the same car. At the same time, the added control is phenomenal. Everything about how the car handles is much enhanced, and the ride is much smoother than before. I'm thinking about adjusting the shocks up a notch or two. This was an amazing upgrade. I can't emphasize enough how much the Konis change the character of the car.

Next up is some hollow sway bars. I might just take advantage of the Stranoparts offer here pretty quickly. Do yourself a favor: Listen to Sam and do it once, and right.