Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Simple rotor question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 10:37 AM
dtp

Simple rotor question.

Can warped rotors cause squeeky breaks. A month back I installed new pads and rotors on my front wheels. One wheel did not turn easily with the new pad and rotor while I had the car jacked up. I took it for a test drive and that rotor got very hot so I took off one of the new pads and put an old pad that was not worn out in place. Anyway squeeks developed over the next few weeks and I swear they come from that wheel. Maybe it got too hot on that test drive and warped?

BTW, anyone have a good trick for figuring out which wheel is squeeking when I brake other than having my wife run along the car while I break (edit: I mean brake)? ;-) Thanks.

Last edited by dtp; 09-25-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:47 PM

Re: Simple rotor question.

Well it sounds like you have a bad caliper, it's the reason your wheel was draging and the brake got hot. The brake getting hot caused the rotor and pad to glaze over, the glaze is what is causing your squeak.

Replace the caliper and I would sand the surface of the pads a bit before you reinstall them. Also inspect the rotor, if it has bluish heat marks you need to have it machined before using it to avoid squeaks.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:07 PM
dtp

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Well it sounds like you have a bad caliper, it's the reason your wheel was draging and the brake got hot. The brake getting hot caused the rotor and pad to glaze over, the glaze is what is causing your squeak.

Replace the caliper and I would sand the surface of the pads a bit before you reinstall them. Also inspect the rotor, if it has bluish heat marks you need to have it machined before using it to avoid squeaks.
Thanks, I'll have to look into calipers. I did notice that my rear rotors seemed to be glazed a bit so I took them in to be machined today. Maybe that's where the squeeking came from...
Old 09-26-2004, 05:35 AM

Check for a pinched line[and no you won't SEE it] that is what usually causes a stuck caliper and that kind of heat..
Did you hang the calipers by the lines? That almost guarantees pinched inner liner[the outer rubber is only a cover]
Warped rotor really doesn't squeek.. Pedal pulsation, yes..
If you remove the pads again, put a small 45 degree chamfer on the leading edge of the pads.. that will quiet squeeking sometimes..
Old 09-26-2004, 01:32 PM
dtp

Thanks for the input, I don't think I had a stuck caliper. When I put the new rotor and pads in the front, even after compressing the calipers, the wheel would not turn freely. I think the pads autozone gave me were just damn thick along with the new rotor.

Anyway I just got my machined rear rotors and they did seem glazed a bit when I took them in so I'm going to put them on in a few minutes and go for a test drive.