Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Sits higher on one side?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:07 PM

Sits higher on one side?

Ok, this is another weird question, but this isn't making any sense to me....

Apparently the body, above the passenger's side rear wheel, is sitting about 2-4 inches lower than the driver's side is. For example......the tire on the back passenger's side, is only about 2 inches away from hitting the tip-center of the fender, whereas, on the driver's side, it's more like 4 1/2. I've had new struts put in and the mechanic said he didn't see any problems (don't see how), when they aligned it, other than it's time to get some sway-bar bushings (which is true).......I bought the car from a friend, who was the original owner of the car. He isn't mechanically-incline AT ALL and basically told me that there was " a boot at or around the top of the strut, under the car, that was missing."

He and I have no clue what he's talking about. Any suggestions? Also, when going over bumps in the road, there is a particular rattle sound coming from around that strut. I know the struts are good, because I bought and tested them myself. The springs are fine, as is the rear sway-bar. The rattle sounds almost like the strut would be loose, and rattling around hitting the body, just a little, or maybe like the strut itself is slamming around inside of it's own protective jacket, but it's not. I just replaced all of the computers in the car, and the anti-theft module, and it was running great........now this haha
Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Re: Sits higher on one side?

what kind of car?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 PM

it's a '94 Camaro Z28 LT1 Auto.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Administrator

You need to pin down the dimensions a bit more clearly.... 2 - 4 inches is a huge range. I can't quite comprehend a car that sits with the rear fender one side sitting 4" higher than the other side. Measure the exact distance between the top of the tire and the fender lip, measuring above the centerline of the rear axle. From your indicated measurements of 4.5" on one side, and 2" on the other, that would be a 2.5" difference. Get the exact numbers.

The height of the car is controlled by the springs, not the shocks, so a missing bushing or "boot" on the shock would not be causing the problem. There's a rubber seat/isolator at the top of each rear coil spring, but they are only about 1/2" thick, so that's not the reason.

Minor point, but there are no "struts" on a 4th Gen. They are shocks on all four corners, coil-over in the front.