Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Slack in the steering?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 09:51 PM

Slack in the steering?

When my steering wheel is centered theres a bit of a deadspot where I can move it and it does nothing. You can feel it just move till it catches. It probably moves around an 1/2 an inch to each side. Is this normal? I dont remember it doing it before the t56 swap.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:46 AM

Re: Slack in the steering?

Not normal. Jack the car up and have a friend move the steering wheel while you observe the steering linkage. I had this problem and it turned out to be a failing steering rack. The pinion gear shaft was moving up and down causing the play. The rack had 146K miles so I replaced the entire rack. It could also be worn outer tie rod ends.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:15 PM

The most likely culprit is the steering shaft rag joint rather than the rack itself. Easy to check. Have someone sit in the car, and turn the wheel side to side to simulate the play. Look under the hood at the shaft w/ 2 universal joints running on the driver side from the steering column where it comes thru the firewall and runs down to the rack. From the factory, there is a plastic boot that may be on there and may need to be removed for a clearer view. Look about in the center of that shaft for a 1/2" to 3/4" thick circular fiber woven plug that has the 2 halves of the shaft riveted to it. Usually you develop slop from those rivets loosening inside this "rag" joint causing the play. If that is the problem, you can buy a replacement from Dal or Jason for ~$120.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6
The most likely culprit is the steering shaft rag joint rather than the rack itself. Easy to check. Have someone sit in the car, and turn the wheel side to side to simulate the play. Look under the hood at the shaft w/ 2 universal joints running on the driver side from the steering column where it comes thru the firewall and runs down to the rack. From the factory, there is a plastic boot that may be on there and may need to be removed for a clearer view. Look about in the center of that shaft for a 1/2" to 3/4" thick circular fiber woven plug that has the 2 halves of the shaft riveted to it. Usually you develop slop from those rivets loosening inside this "rag" joint causing the play. If that is the problem, you can buy a replacement from Dal or Jason for ~$120.
Thats my bet as well. Happened to me, shop wouldn't even align my car until I got a new one cause it was so bad.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:42 PM

Get a rag joint eliminator from these guys...
http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/

Very nice piece, easy install, and will take care of 99% of your steering slop (assuming your ball joints are good hehe). And its only like $35
Old 02-24-2005, 05:15 PM

Be careful with eliminating the rag joint to save money. It is designed to break in the event of a front end collision so the steering wheel doesn't impale you. I paid to replace it with the stock part because of this.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:25 PM

And because of that, you will develop slack in the steering. Again. And you will have to pay another $300 or whatever to replace it. Again. Have fun with that.

Decide what is important to you. I AutoX my car so I need all the precision I can get. And if I wanted a safe car I would have bought a Volvo
Old 02-24-2005, 06:01 PM

I know better than to think I am immortal. Not dying in a mild front end collision is more important to me than spending a couple bucks.

Last edited by TheHeadFL; 02-24-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by TheHeadFL
It is designed to break in the event of a front end collision so the steering wheel doesn't impale you.
Who in the heck told you that? The guy you paid to replace it?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jon A
I have the UE rag eliminator installed.

I have wondered about the safety of it also.

I did a web search and could not find it mentioned as a safety device anywhere. With all of the u joints in the shaft it is hard to say what would happen if the front end was pushed in by an impact.

The shaft is designed to collapse, it has a nylon shear plug linking the two shafts. That is what will protect you in an accident.

The rag joint is, I think, mostly for vibration and not safety. It might protect your hands if it sheared off when road wheel was struck and prevented the force from whipping the steering wheel. But that is a stretch, and the joint is pretty tough, I think your thumbs would give before the rag joint would.

With headers and no clear indication of a safety hazard, I am happy that I installed mine. Sawsall vice and grinders will make the job easier.

I would take the $300 piece back and buy the $30.00 UE part if you have the tools to install it.

Z28
Old 02-24-2005, 11:06 PM

The shaft isn't $300, it is $120. Your choice either way though.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:31 AM

Napa sells replacement rag joints if you don't to go with the rag joint eliminator; there about $20.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:00 AM

Exactly what I was thinking.

Think about it....the rag joint/steering column is pretty damn close to the drivers side header. Which means its pretty damn close to the ENGINE as well. The odds of a front end collision somewhow slamming the steering shaft, with all of its u-joints (back into the passenger compartment without the engine getting in the way are slim to none. The fact that you have a big V8 sitting there to absorb whatever your bumper crush support doesnt is far more protection than a factory rag joint.

Thats just silly.

Find one instance of a rag joint eliminator causing the steering shaft to kill, hell even injure someone......good luck.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Z28barnett
The shaft is designed to collapse, it has a nylon shear plug linking the two shafts.
But it's only going to collapse less than an inch if the rag fails.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:58 PM

But it's only going to collapse less than an inch if the rag fails.
I am not sure that we are talking about the same thing. The rag joint doesn't have the nylon shear plugs.

The main steering shaft, above the u-joints and rag joint, has the two shear plugs connecting it to the main steering shaft that goes to the wheel.

The exploded diagram in the GM parts manual seems to show about 4"-6" of available shaft travel under collapse. No dimensions are given, estimating off of drawing. They also warn that you can lean on the column and bend it or damage it by dropping it.

The rag joint is only around 1/2" thick. I am not sure what you mean about the 1" collapse.

If you have headers, the rubber rag joint is so close to the tubes that I don't think it will last very long. That is why I replaced mine, to prevent heat damage and keep steering feel.

I like it and I think it is a safe mod.

Z28

Quick Reply: Slack in the steering?