Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

SLP sub-frame connector question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 05:21 PM

SLP sub-frame connector question

Hello, new to this board, but have found it very informative so far. I have a 94 Z-28 Camaro and looking to install SLP sub-frame connectors. I was curious as to the differences between the bolt-on and weld on ones. Is one better than the other and which do you guys recommend? Any input would help. Thank you
Old 01-02-2005, 08:18 PM

Re: SLP sub-frame connector question

I was looking into getting some sub-frame connectors for my ls1 and i was wondering the same thing. What I was thinking the main difference between the two is that one is removeable and one isn't. Depending on the bolt size, it should be just as strong as being welded on. So i guess it depends if you want to drill some holes into your frame or not. but if anybody else has some insight on why one is better than the other please let me know. I'm trying to justify this from an engineering side.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:27 PM

I don't have first hand experience but it is possible that the bolt in ones will get loose and become ineffective leaving you the same as not having them. I don't think having screws would be as stiff as having them welded in so it may not be as much of a benefit. I would go with weld ins, they are cheaper too.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:07 PM

One thing to consider about the SLP sfc's are they are a double-diamond style, limiting some of your options for future mods like running long-tube headers and true dual exhaust. With the bolt-in ones, you would be able to remove them should you choose to go with LT's or true duals. I just put some custom made (by me and my metal fabricating friends ) SLP-style bolt-in sfc's on my car yesterday, and they made such an insane difference that I will definately be able to tell if the bolts ever came loose .

Tom
Old 01-02-2005, 10:52 PM

Do you need to drill any holes or anything for the bolt on ones?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Do you need to drill any holes or anything for the bolt on ones?
On that one, I don't know for sure about the SLP ones. Since we custom made mine, we fit them with the holes already on the car, and made plates with nuts welded to them that slid inside the frame rails for the bolts to thread into. The center holes just mount up to the trans-tunnel brace holes and use the stock bolts. Maybe someone with the SLP ones can chime in for you on the rest .

Tom
Old 01-03-2005, 01:10 AM

Try this link. It says the SFC's use existing holes.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=70801

PJ
Old 01-03-2005, 03:07 PM

There is no drilling involved with mounting SLP bolt in SFCs. The actual bolt in and weld in SFCs are identical, it's just how you attach them. the weld in ones have holes in them, so you could bolt those in with the hardware. I have bolt ins and they work just fine.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:37 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. This is a great board and very cool place to turn when you have questions.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Try using the search button... you'lll find bunches on the subject... I recently did a review of my experiance after installign a set of these. THe Bolt on verisons are just easier if you plan to install them yourself and what a protective powder coating, other wise, you should look into the weld on verison for cheaper... I purchased hte Bolt on verisons... but will have them welded in later.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:44 PM

The only differences in the SLP bolt-ons and weld-ons are the bolt ons are powdercoated, come with hardware, and cost a bunch more. A trip to Wal-Mart for $3.50 worth of bolts and Krylon and I was in business.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:17 PM

do the weldins have the holes drilled in? It can be a pita to drill a lot of metal holes unless you have awesome bits.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
do the weldins have the holes drilled in? It can be a pita to drill a lot of metal holes unless you have awesome bits.
I'm not sure about other brands, but the SLP's are exactly the same (both have mounting holes) except for the powdercoating and hardware.

Last edited by WOOS1; 01-05-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:34 AM

Lightbulb Re: SLP sub-frame connector question

SloTexanTA- do you have prints of the ones that you made? dimensions, etc???

thanks
Rick
Old 01-06-2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by shiftinda93Z
SloTexanTA- do you have prints of the ones that you made? dimensions, etc???

thanks
Rick
Unfortunately no. My friend had made some for his 35th SS, and we took rough measurements from his to make mine and my other friends. We then took them and custom fit them to each individual car, tweaking them as necessary. Since it was a trial and error type situation (my LT1 and their LS1's were slightly different), we didn't keep the measurements. However, I might be able to take some for you while I'm under the car tomorrow. Just let me know what exactly you want to know.

Tom

Quick Reply: SLP sub-frame connector question