Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

So I pulled the trigger on the Baer 6P kit for my 97 SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:01 PM

So I pulled the trigger on the Baer 6P kit for my 97 SS

My brakes are long overdue for replacement anyway. The last service I hand on them was 5 years ago. I know my rotors are shot (the fronts were resurfaced last time out), but the pads have plenty left on them (lifetime pads last a long time I guess).Yesterday I noticed that my pedal was getting really soft (going to the floor at times). Its probably an indication of air in the system. I figure since I will have to bleed the brakes, I might as well go ahead and do the upgrade I have been wanting to do.

In the meantime I'll drive my wife's car until its fixed.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 AM

I saw that new line of brakes on Baer's website..they look sick.

Does the kit come with SS brake lines or just the caliper/rotors? If not, you should consider getting some SS brake lines...you'll be touching them anyways. When I did my LS1 swap, also took the time to add the SS brakes lines...overall stopping is so much better then my LT1 brakes. I can't imagine what 6 pistons would feel like?

Show some picks when you get them installed.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:31 AM

Well, after 3 weeks of waiting the parts finally arrived. I will be installing them this weekend. It's going to be a major job that's for sure. I just hope I'm not in over my head.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 AM

Well, I attempted the installation of the kit last weekend. I was able to install the front rotors and calipers, but I couldn't get the old brake line to come off. Its torqued on so tight that the nut starts to round off when I try to break it loose (I even used some PB spray to treat it, but I still had no luck). So I put the old brake line onto the new caliper, but it is a little bit too short. I couldn't install the rear brakes because I need to take apart the axle shafts to replace the caliper mounting points to accomidate the larger rotors. Again an over torqued bolt that won't break loose.

I put the old brakes back on the rear and I attempted to bleed the system only to discover that my master cylinder is going out again. I just replaced that thing 2 years ago. I've decided to get my car towed to a shop and have a professional install the rear brakesand replace the master cylinder for me. I think I was a little to ambitious with this project and I got in over my head.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 PM

Here are some pics of my car after finishing the install. BTW these brakes work great. The pedal has a much firmer feel, I have to use a lot less force for normal braking than I did before, and when I really jump in the brakes the car stops MUCH quicker. I didn't have time to paint or powdercoat the rear calipers, and Baer doesn't offer rear calipers for the '97 Camaro any more.

Here's the whole car:

Here's the front wheel with the new 6P caliper:

And here's the rear wheel with stock calipers but larger 13" rotors:
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 PM

How can the stock rear caliper make use of the larger rotor? It's not nearly going to be able to sweep the whole thing, is it? (it barely sweeps all of the stock rotor, IIRC) It looks like I see a line on your rotor where the inside of the pad stops.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Yeah, I noticed the line on the rotor. I guess the stock caliper doesn't really cover the whole rotor very well. I tried to get a better rear caliper from Baer, but they don't offer one for the '97 F-body for some reason. Do you know of another source that I can get a better rear caliper from?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:08 PM

Sorry, I don't know of another source.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 AM

TomcatMF:
Try Summit ... they carry Wilwood and Baer kits ... don't know if Wilwood can use the Baer brackets. I assume the calipers are available separately. They are for 12" rear rotors.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294908198

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294924744

Good Luck