Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

So I'm thinking I smoked some rotors + pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:00 PM

So I'm thinking I smoked some rotors + pads

Like a dumbass, I took the car out of storage today, and instead of doing a few gentle stops around the block to run the light coating of surface rust off the rotors, I drove up to speed, and then slowed down normally at a stop sign.

When the brakes instantly started to fade, I immeadiately knew how much of a dummy I was...

Upon closer inspection, they appear to be glazed...

So other than turning a couple thousanths off "unturnable" rotors, is there any miracle remedy I'm not aware of to combat this? I was thinking brake clean and a wire brush, and a date with my freezing work bench this saturday afternoon. and maybe a new set of pads

The only other thing I can think of, is that since I never really had the oppurtunity to really heat the brakes up after months of non use and artic new england weather, perhaps I should gradually heat them up with a few runs around the 'hood, then make a few panic stops to heat em up well and really clean 'em off?

So now I'm left to believe:

1:I ****ed an-almost-brand-new set of baer pads and rotors beyond salvage no matter what I do, and consequently will be out the 4 and change it will cost to replace them

or:

2:I will destroy the pads+rotors beyond salvagability by cleaning them with a steel brush and brake clean

or: ("...") by stopping hard a few times after they are thoroughly warm (this just seems like a bad idea to me, but it's just another idea I could think of to possibly remedy this situation)

What's everyone think?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:56 AM

i think you should do all of the above, in the reverse order you decribed them
the last thing u mentioned doesnt cost you money or labor
the second thin doesnt cost you money
and the first thing is a last resort

h0onestly though, a couple of warm stops and you should be fine
Old 02-08-2007, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by grandnational007
I took the car out of storage today
Change your brake fluid and try again. While sitting its been my experience that it'll soak in more moisture than when its being driven.

If one good stop is going to ruin pads and rotors then what you bought was crap. It isn't that easy to ruin rotors.

This is a friction surface we're talking about. Very small particles will make the surface shiney. If you're really worried about it, then hit them with a little sandpaper.