Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

So in picking suspension pieces

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 11:26 AM

So in picking suspension pieces

so you go through and look at the suspension pieces offered and I see PA racing which from what I've repeatedly read have quality issues with welds, being blown through and splattered and generally messy, then you have BMR which is coming under fire for being under engineered from a materials standpoint, LG has some nice pieces but the're A arms are a fortune....what does one do?
Old 07-09-2004, 01:38 PM

I have BMR and have had no problems.

Are you asking what an A arm does, if you are then here ya go, there is and upper and lower A arm on the front suspension. It allows the wheel to travel up and down. This is an "independent" type suspension.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:32 PM

BMR is adequate for street/drag use but some of their stuff is probably marginal for road race/competitive autox. What are you using the car for and why are you considering changing A arms at all?
Old 07-11-2004, 02:46 AM

I'm going to be useing Spohn on my next car. I think there a little better for track car set up's IMO.

http://www.spohn.net/
Old 07-12-2004, 04:34 PM

I'll be using it for a weekend toy and casual roadrace/track days and what not. been looking to take off some weight and figured that would be a good place to start, just don't want to worry about things having a catastrophic failure, I'm under the car enough that slower stresses would probably be seen and noticed
Old 07-12-2004, 06:04 PM

www.unbalancedengineering.com has an incredibly well built PHR, and a few unique pieces some of the lesser companies dont' offer.

LG Motorsports has quality stuff, especially their torque arm (although the stock one is great for more purposes)

Kenny Brown makes a good double-diamond SFC.

Hotchis STB is my favorite as the design makes it a bit easier to remove for work over the engine (like replacing injectors)... I'd rather strip a grade-8 bolt I can easily replace than a stock bolt which will take a fair bit more effort if you ever ruin the threads during an install/removal.

Global-west makes a great upper A-arm from what I've read (del-alum bearings and some camber increase ).

I personally wouldn't use a tubular lower A-arm for anything... although GM's 1LE version would be a nice upgrade.

Sam Strato can hook you up with shocks, sway bays, (and springs if you want them).

There are plenty of quality pieces out there... just don't expect quality to be dirt cheap and you'll be fine.