Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Soft smooth ride, SoCal sucks!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 PM

Soft smooth ride, SoCal sucks!!

I have a 180k 1994 Trans Am on lowering springs and I live in San Diego. The ride is pretty rough. On smooth roads, no problem, but smooth roads are few and very far between.

What shock/strut will soften and smoothen the blows of SoCal roads? I don't need or want hi performance stuff like Konis or Bilsteins. I just want a smooth as possible ride and not ride like a boat, but more like when it left the Fbody plant. And I want them to last for a few years.

Also with springs, aren't WS6 springs different than regular V8 springs? Lately Ive been reading that they are the same. Anyway, I'll probably be rocking those springs so keep that in mind as well. Do new struts come with everything I need for install, mounts and what not?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:52 AM

Re: Soft smooth ride, SoCal sucks!!

The roads here in Ohio suck pretty bad too, and my car is still running stock springs. My car isn't a daily driver, and I went to Koni shocks and they are definitely stiffer than the original shocks my Z28 came with. I'm not sure how they will work with your lowered springs, but you might try going back to OEM series shocks/struts.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Administrator

The rear shocks will come with new upper mount bushings. The front shocks (coil-over spring/shocks, not struts) will not come with anything. The upper spring/shock mount will most likely need to be replaced. The upper nut rusts fast to the metal ferrule in the upper mount, and even if you manage to get it all apart, the rubber that supports the shock ferrule will eventually crack and cause problems.

The front spring/shock assembly requires a spring compressor to disassemble, and it is critical to mark the relative positions of the upper mount, the spring and the shock lower mounting bar, or you won't be able to reinstall the assembly through the holes in the upper shock support tower. I have an online guide to replacing the shocks if you plan on doing this yourself.

Buy something like the KYB adjustables and set them on soft. Or buy a Buick....

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photos/shk08.jpg

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photos/shk01.jpg
Old 09-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Thanks Fred, trust me, a buick would be great to have here. Better gas mileage, more room, if a Regal GS and lightly modded just as fast. But thats not the case yet.

I was thinking of those KYB adjustables. Just don't know long they would last even if I went back to stock WS6 springs. Who sells the mount for the front shocks?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by JETMAN95Z28
My car isn't a daily driver, and I went to Koni shocks and they are definitely stiffer than the original shocks my Z28 came with.
If stiffer now means less squeaks, rattles, and bone jarring discomfort over the slightest road imperfection, then sign me up. But I think it still means ride quality sucks.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Administrator

The upper spring/shock seats are a GM parts, but I think they are now available at auto parts stores from various sources.