Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

sphon torque arm owners inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 08:45 PM

sphon torque arm owners inside

i just got my new torque arm installed last saturday. i took it for a bit of a drive after the install and all seemed well except for a little vibration and a little bang noise from under my seat. i got the solid heim joints and driveshaft loop with my arm. today when i drove it for the first time since saturday i felt a heavy bang undr my seat a few times when i accelerated. my car is a 6 speed and i checked the tranny mount but its good. and the torque arm is solid as well all the bolts are tight and its won't wiggle at all when i shake it. any ideas on what this is or is this normal with such a hard and unforgiving arm? if its normal then thats cool with me but since i have never had a comparision then i have no clue.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:32 AM

Wink Re: sphon torque arm owners inside

Make sure the TQ arm isn't hitting in the driveshaft tunnel. I have the same TQ arm, and I have heard of others with the your issue. If it is hitting, just use a hammer and lightly dimple the DS tunnel where its bumping.

Hope that helps... and for the vib. thats normal... mine whines like a son of a gun...

Kevin
Old 08-19-2004, 10:37 AM

Re: sphon torque arm owners inside

Since it's banging against the floor pan, you'll probably be able to spot where it's hitting soon enough... The usual spot is all the way at the back where the TA bolts to the diff case, it hits on the left side against the tunnel. Make sure the bolts there are oriented with the head on the outside, against the tunnel, and the nuts on the inside - that will shorten them up a bit. But after that, you're pretty much stuck getting out the old hammer.

As to the vibration, if its speed related you might want to double-check your pinion angle setting - too much angle will certainly introduce vibration.

Dave
Old 08-29-2004, 02:28 PM

Dave got it. The common place is for the bracket that bolts to the rear diff will swing up (when the rear end swings up) and rub on the tunnel slightly - usually on a hard launch or hard shift. I found mine only did it because the rear end was slightly off centered.... and an adjustable panhard rod cured that.... your experience may vary~
Old 09-02-2004, 08:36 PM

Could it be the exhaust hitting the front tq arm mount right under the seat when the engine is under load? Maybe motor mounts are shot.