Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Spohn Torque Arm Problems, HELLA NOISE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 03:32 PM

Exclamation Spohn Torque Arm Problems, HELLA NOISE!!!

i just installed the adjustable torque arm with front driveshaft loop on my 94 z28 and everything went on fine, i double and triple checked the pinoin angle, AND that all the mounting bolts and and jam nuts and everything was tight. well after a little spirited test driving im getting some serious clunking from under the car. i dont have access to a lift until friday so i will not be driving it until then but does anyone have any ideas??

btw, its not the tranny mount, ive broke that many times and i know exactly what it sounds like, this is similar too that clunk, but not as distinct... its more muffled. it happens with acceleration sometimes (during the shift), and during breaking (the down shift). my car is an automatic. stock rearend, and i have upgraded panhard rod, both sway bars, and lca's. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:48 PM

Re: Spohn Torque Arm Problems, HELLA NOISE!!!

My guess is the torque arm is hitting the tranny tunnel, on the left side of the pumpkin. Check to make sure the bolt heads for the angle adjustment are on the outside, and the nuts on the inside. You may also need to adjust the axle to the right a bit to get some clearance, and you may also need to make some clearance with a big hammer...

Dave
Old 04-20-2005, 04:50 PM

if it is truly bumping something under the car, how much can i bang away with a hammer before i mess something up? how much play will i have?
Old 04-20-2005, 04:57 PM

You're just under the back seats, there's no real damage to do, unless you accidentally miss the floor and hit your thumb with the hammer. You could probably move the floor pan about 1/2" or so is my guess.

Dave
Old 04-20-2005, 09:41 PM

its wierd though, it doesnt clunk or bump anything when i smash the throttle, its only when im cruising at normal speeds... like normal acceleration and braking that it makes any noises. why is that?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Do you have the poly bushing or the rod end?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:11 PM

rod end
Old 04-21-2005, 09:38 AM

Did you add grease to the slider through the grease fitting?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator

By its nature, the rod end is harsh. If you have excessive backlash in the gears, or any play in the driveshaft, its going to be noisy, and you'll feel it. I think I've reached the point where I can measure the gear backlash by how hard it clunks . For a street car, the poly bushing might be a better choice.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by OBE1 95Z28
Did you add grease to the slider through the grease fitting?
im not sure what you mean by slider, but the greasable bushing on the part that mounts to the body IS greased.

Originally Posted by Injuneer
By its nature, the rod end is harsh. If you have excessive backlash in the gears, or any play in the driveshaft, its going to be noisy, and you'll feel it. I think I've reached the point where I can measure the gear backlash by how hard it clunks . For a street car, the poly bushing might be a better choice.
so if i have excessive backlash in the gears, i just have to live with it pretty much?? how would i find out if i had any play in the driveshaft??

thanks for the help.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:29 PM

I recently noticed a clunking in my car; I added grease to the slider grease fitting (where the male and female halves of the torque arm join) and the clunk disappeared. This area actually takes a fair amount of grease; I estimate 10 strokes of my grease gun. Worth a shot. I do have the poly bushing that's quieter than the rod end.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:32 PM

are you talking about the part under the rod (in your case poly) bushing that connects the part of the torque arm connected to the rear end, to the part bolted to the frame? cold you possibly post a picture. i only see one place on the torque arm with a grease fitting, and its full of grease.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by OBE1 95Z28
I recently noticed a clunking in my car; I added grease to the slider grease fitting (where the male and female halves of the torque arm join) and the clunk disappeared. This area actually takes a fair amount of grease; I estimate 10 strokes of my grease gun. Worth a shot. I do have the poly bushing that's quieter than the rod end.
It sounds like you have on of Spohns "original design" torque arms from about 4-5 years ago. Does the front of it consist of a metal rod on the end of the tubes coming from the rear, that inserts into the hollow front tube, coming from bushing, and covered by a rubber bellows? If so, that design is no longer sold.... not for at least the last 2 or 3 years.

Original design:
http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun...TA_MW_Muf1.jpg
Old 04-22-2005, 12:10 AM

oh yea, mine looks nothing like that.... it looks like this:

http://www.spohn.net/productimages/402FLB_big.jpg
Old 04-22-2005, 12:11 AM

I have the spohn t/a rod end and I know what your talking about. Just make sure everything is alright under there. I double checked mine a couple of times and I'm confident everything is cool.

Quick Reply: Spohn Torque Arm Problems, HELLA NOISE!!!