Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Spohn TorqueArm people, need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 07:39 PM

Spohn TorqueArm people, need your opinion

I have had one for a while now but rarly drive the car, but i do have a lowered car and the Spohn torque arm and a moser 9" rear end.

I have a lot of banging that is directly connected to the chassis, were the TA mounts. Does anyone have a lot of noise. I was told it was noticeable, but this is almost every bump, every shift, i hear something.

I ordered QA1 shocka dn spring to bring the car upto the proper heigth and will recheck the pinion angle, but.....

I also have both pieces that mount the TA to the brace. I have the ball joint and poly bushing type, i think the poly rubber piece is in, whould changing to the metal ball joint work more quitely
Old 10-14-2004, 07:45 PM

Re: Spohn TorqueArm people, need your opinion

I have the spohn torque arm and when dropping the gear or under a sudden surge of power I hear a thump and feel it on my seat. I believe it comes from the bolt that hooks on the xmember. You have to tight that big bad boy pretty hard. Don't over tighten it or your suspension may bind. Just make sure its moderately tightened. Its a bitch too, really no room when you have the T-56.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:46 PM

I don't have a spohn torque arm, but the one I built is just like it. I have 1 poly joint where the TA bolts on the g-load brace and Yes it does transmitt alot more noise and vibration than the stocker. I also have tubular controll arms and panhard rod which I think makes the noise and bumps more noticable.

You will hear more noise and feel more of the bumps in the road with the solid rodend without the poly joint. I think its just a sacrifice of a solid suspension.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:55 PM

I have the spohn torque arm and a moser 9', and the torque arm was hitting the floor board where it mounted on the 9'. I had to bend that in a little bit.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:18 AM

i remember reading a while back about taking some rubber and placing it between where the body and the torque arm sits and that is suppose to handle some of the noises.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:54 AM

I have the BMR X-treme TA and HAD the 2" dropped springs in; there was a lot of noise from mine as well. The torque arm was rubbing on the driveshaft tunnell, installed some Eibach's springs and all is well!!

My $.02
Old 10-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Administrator

The TA mount on the 9-inch rear is offset to the drivers side. Generally, its going to allow the TA/differential mount and the bolts to contact the tunnel. Are you using the Spohn TA with the extra set of holes specifically for the 9-inch?

If you have excessive backlash in the rear, its going to make the noise more apparent as you load and unload the drive train.

You will definitely get more noise with the rod end. I'm surprised you find the poly end to be that noisy.

The rubber between the cross-brace and the g-load mounting pads on the body is a little bit of a help - that's why Spohn includes the rubber pads with the TA.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:34 AM

I will have to try and cut a rubber hose and use it inbetween the floor board and TA.
I didn't know if having the car lowered put anymore stress on the suspenion, plus i crap too many times with it lowered and the TA brace hanging lower, thats why i purchased the QA1 shocks so i can adjust heigth and keep 1/4 performance.

Het fred did you mean the little square pads that come with the TA or why the other meaning that there was a place were the arm was touching the DS tunnel. I was thinking of a hose cut to form around the tubing from the Arm

definitly will have to check the pinion angle when she's up in the air for the shocks
Old 10-15-2004, 10:29 AM

Usually it is where the TA mounts to the rear end. What you need to do is, take that bracket (That connects the TA, to the Rear), and cut off the bolt holes that you are not using. This will properly align the rear end, otherwise the TA will mount crooked. After you modify this bracket, the TA will mount parallel to the Driveshaft. If you need some pics I can take some...
Old 10-15-2004, 10:38 AM

Are you meaning on the moser 9" rear end and the extra cut holes for the 9" or GM style location on the Spohn torque arm, do not line up?

I did use the proper set of holes and it looks right and nothing is showing to be misaligned
Old 10-15-2004, 11:08 AM

I had a very similar problem where my Spohn T/A was hitting the chassis directly above the differential attachment points. My problem was that the car was not centered over the rear axel and caused the differential to be shifted to the drivers side relative to the chassis. This caused the T/A mounts to hit the side of my drive shaft tunnel.

To find out if your chassis is not centered over your differential:
1. Make a plumb line out of a string and a nut and tape it to the top outside of your rear fender over the center of your wheel.
2. Measure from the top lip of your rear wheel rim to the string on each side.
3. The difference in the 2 measurements is how far off center your differential is located.

An adjustable Pan Hard Rod is used to re-center the rear end in the chassis.

This problem can become exaggerated on lowered cars that do not employ adjustable pan hard rods. The stock rod pushes the chassis over to one side when the chassis is lowered.

Last edited by 94Sleeper; 10-15-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:23 AM

i have noticed the right wheel sticking out further, i will give it a try.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:03 PM

I had a Spohn TA for a little while. Banged all the time. Even going slow around the house, bang bang, bang. Got rid of it for a BMR that mounts in the stock location. Super slient. But I am thinking of going back to a cross member mounted just for the saftey of it.

But the Spohn was noisey and it was not hitting the bottom of the car. It was the arm swinging back and forth. If I get another one I am going to put some rubber on the arm to lessing the noise.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:10 AM

Spohn Torque Arm = Awesome traction!!!!
Spohn Torque Arm Also = Lots on Road Noise!!!!!!!!!