Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Spohn TQ Owners, and Pinion disaster!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 10:15 PM

Spohn TQ Owners, and Pinion disaster!

First question:
Well I am currently running a spohn tq, bmr adj phr, hotchkis lca's.(12 bolt rear also) You know the bracket from the tq arm, that attatches to the rearend, has 2 sets of holes. One set for a 12 bolt rear, one set for a 9 inch. Did any of you cut this bracket to eliminate the 9" holes, or vice versa, and eliminate the bracket from hitting the underneath of the car? Someone told me that I need to do this.

2.) I went to get my pinion angle checked today, and it was way off. Partially because I have a lowered car, and no lca relocation brackets. Well We were going to adjust the pinion angle, but the person doing it said that I needed to get the relocation brackets first. I agreed. The thing that sucks is that I am running a BMR extreme duty rear sway bar, and the damn saddle brackets are already welded to the rear! So now I have to cut them off I guess, and set the correct pinion angle, and buy new saddle brackets and have them rewelded.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks Guys!
Old 08-28-2004, 10:21 PM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....
Re: Spohn TQ Owners, and Pinion disaster!

Originally Posted by Deenasty
First question:
Well I am currently running a spohn tq, bmr adj phr, hotchkis lca's.(12 bolt rear also) You know the bracket from the tq arm, that attatches to the rearend, has 2 sets of holes. One set for a 12 bolt rear, one set for a 9 inch. Did any of you cut this bracket to eliminate the 9" holes, or vice versa, and eliminate the bracket from hitting the underneath of the car? Someone told me that I need to do this.

2.) I went to get my pinion angle checked today, and it was way off. Partially because I have a lowered car, and no lca relocation brackets. Well We were going to adjust the pinion angle, but the person doing it said that I needed to get the relocation brackets first. I agreed. The thing that sucks is that I am running a BMR extreme duty rear sway bar, and the damn saddle brackets are already welded to the rear! So now I have to cut them off I guess, and set the correct pinion angle, and buy new saddle brackets and have them rewelded.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks Guys!
Yeah, I have a Spohn tq arm and I cut off the innermost bolt holes to mount the arm close to the rearend (so it didn't hit the floor).

I can't really picture how a BMR extreme swaybar would prevent you from using LCA relocation brackets, but I would suggest setting the pinion angle in the meantime anyway. (only takes a minute)
Old 08-29-2004, 01:13 AM

The reason why there is a problem, is because the saddle brackets are already welded on to the rearend. So when the pinion angle is set, the saddle brackets will not be parallel to the floor, instead the will be shifted. For example if you stand on the side of the car, and look down the rear end axel tubing the saddle bracket will look like this : --- But since the brackets were welded on the rear with a bad pinion angle, when the pinion angle is set the saddle brackets will look like this : \
Old 08-29-2004, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Yeah, I have a Spohn tq arm and I cut off the innermost bolt holes to mount the arm close to the rearend (so it didn't hit the floor).
Can you please explain a bit this mod? I have my TQ arm to be installed.

Last edited by Highlander; 08-29-2004 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Deenasty, you've got the same topic posted in the correct forum... the suspension forum so not sure why you posted it here to?

Since there is info here, rather than just close this one, I'll move it to that forum and if the mods over there see it, maybe they can combine the two for ya.

Good luck but please limit the posting of the questions to the proper forums as it makes it easier for us
Old 08-29-2004, 02:22 PM

sounds good, thanks!