Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Sportline or Intrax

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 01:41 PM

Sportline or Intrax

which one does everybody prefer? who has better ride qaulity? which is a better product for the money? Any Problems with both?

........The Eibach Pro-Kit doesnt seem like it makes the car really look any different, half the time you cant tell if there on there or not......

What does getting lowering springs consist of as far as parts and money all together?

First you buy the springs, obviously, then get them compressed?Do you need an alignment after? Any other suspension parts?
Old 12-17-2004, 02:13 PM

Thumbs up Re: Sportline or Intrax

This is the exact post I wanted to see... I too, just like you man, was trying to decide between the Eibach Sportline and the Intrax springs myself. The pro kit, as you said, doesnt seem like it does much at all. I know a kid that has some on his 94 Goat Turd of a mustang, and mine still sits lower than his (and mine is factory ride height and all factory suspension components).

I finally got my newest Jeg's in the mail about a week or so ago and was looking through it, and they don't even have Intrax in there anymore in the spring section. I was looking to go with those, and a set of KYB gas shocks and struts when I do my suspension mods. My best buddy has KYB shocks and struts on his IROC, and I love its stance He has a different set of springs, that I cant remember what company it is, but its definately phat lookin.

Hopefully some LS1/LT1 owners can tell us the pros/cons between the Eibach Sportline and the Intrax springs. My mind is almost already made up, and when I install the springs, I'm replacing my shocks and struts at the same time.

~Jon
Old 12-17-2004, 08:36 PM

Re: Sportline or Intrax

I have the Sportlines with Strano-tuned Bilsteins on my 2000 Z28. It is LOW! Can't get a floor jack under it low... Scrape the headers low... Back into the driveway low...well, you get the idea. Anyways, I have yet to get a performance alignment done, but it handles great. The rears rub (18s with 275s) in tight corners. Overall, I am very happy and would do it again in a second.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:44 PM

Stiffer springs require better shocks.
Stiffer springs, while better for auto-x, are worse for drag racing.

Do a search on ls1tech.com and ls2.com on this subject. I've found a lot of good info about this there.

I'm personally leaning towards the H&R or LGM G2s (have only heard 1 person that didn't like them and they are slated to be discontinued after Dec. and are on sale right now). Still gathering info though.

IMO, anything under 1.5" drop on a street car and you're asking for problems. There just isn't much room for suspension travel, especially after the springs "settle" You'll scrape, rub tires (as stated above), bottom out on the stops, wear out the shocks and suspension components quicker, lose traction for quick take offs and ride rougher. Decide what you want out of your car and then go from there instead of just throwing on the shortest spring.

I've heard several people complain about Eibachs. Apparently the rear spring rate is too soft for the height and after they settle the ride gets rough from the rear actually ridding ON the stops.

After spring installation, you will need to have it realigned, unless you like tire wear. You will also need an adjustable panhard rod, LCA relocation brackets, and of course shocks that can handle the increased spring rate. That is...to do it right.

Don't worry about "getting" the springs compressed. DIY! LS1howto.com has a great write up on changing struts and springs.

Cost...depends on how well you shop.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:33 AM

Where do those fit in the engine??
Old 12-18-2004, 08:59 AM

Because I had a 12 bolt that jacked up my back end some, I had pro kit on the front and sportlines on the back. The sportlines were very mushy feeling and didn't handle all that well (although better than stock). I sold the 12 bolt and got Pro Kit all the way around and I love it. You're crazy if you think it does not look any different!!! You can't judge your car against a stang since the stangs sit a lot higher anyway. I've gotten several compliments on the stance of the car, absolutely love the handling (it was even decent when I had drag radials on the back), and the ride is bearable.

One thing is if you plan on putting an aftermarket rear end like a Moser or Strange you will need to get lower control arm relocation brackets to adjust your pinion angle. I had too much pinion angle with my 12 bolt and eibachs and snapped an Edelbrock torque arm in two places. Actually, it's a good idea to get them anyway. Like said above, anything lower and you're asking for it. I am BARELY clearing speed bumps in my apartments and have busted welds on my exhaust a few times by bottoming out on stuff.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:31 AM

I'll agree that the Sportlines aren't for everyone, but I personally love how "slammed" my Z28 looks. I don't drive it but on nice weekends, so I can afford to be careful. Dunno if the Bilsteins made the difference, but the springs are certainly not mushy. Even without the alignment (soon!), the handling difference is night and day. I might have to beat out the wheel wells a bit, but I don't regret these springs at all!
Old 12-19-2004, 05:37 AM

Intrax springs seem to have a reputation for sagging. Several people with different model cars have told me that they would not get Intrax springs again. What goal are you trying to accomplish with your ride? If its just the slammed look, then sportlines would be a good choice. The spring rate are a little too soft for serious cornering though. If you want the slammed look with the cornering abilities then you should look into getting an adjustable coil over suspension like Ground Control. That way you can specify what spring rates you want to run. Also, which ever way you decide to go, definately get some good quality shocks to go with it or you will probably be sorry you didn't.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:07 AM

lowering= real bad for clearance, and plan on upgrading other suspension/tires, cuz your traction off the line will suck.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 12-22-2004 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:50 PM

Ok this is what I want to know. Which is the all out lowest spring?? sportline claims what 1.7in drop? The intrax claims 2in? I have the sportlines now on a convertible, but it isnt as low as i wanted. I WANT IT SLAMMED. If the intrax are lower then thats what i want.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:31 PM

I don't know, I got about a 1.8/1.9 drop with the sportlines on my car.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by speed fiend
Intrax springs seem to have a reputation for sagging. Several people with different model cars have told me that they would not get Intrax springs again. .
Never heard of that with Intrax. Part of their advertising and marketing is that these high quality spring won't settle like brand "E". I've had them for at least a year and I bought them used. No problems with sagging, rubbing and the ride quality is great.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:52 PM

friend of mine put intrax on his car (the purple ones) sags low and if you want headers forget about it. thing is so low the back bumper is below you knee.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:19 PM

So we are at the concensus that Intrax is lower?? Id like every ounce of lowness i can get. Goin str8 show with the vert. So i want it LOW.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:59 PM

Well....... here is a pic of mine with Intrax springs. I wouldn't say they were too low or not low enough. Seems just right with no clearance issues.

Quick Reply: Sportline or Intrax