Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

spring shock combo

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:48 PM

spring shock combo

First post at this site so first off-Hi there.

I have searched through the suspension threads and am getting ideas but am still not sure what to go with. Coming in here I thought I wanted the QA1/HAL coil over kit. It was appealing for rate adjustability and ride height adjustability but basically everyone says they are mostly for strip use though QA1 claims steet/strip. Whats up here? Are these people using drag springs? How do these shocks perform on a handling setting with a higher spring rate? Here are my priorities in order for what I want out of a spring shock combo.

1. Improved street/corner carving handling. I have never been to the track and plan to try it every so often but mainly I want to be able to blast through good ole country roads.

2. Ride quality. Obviously i'm willing to sacrifice a bit but nothing too harsh that will jar me too death on a hwy trip.

3. I would like to drop the car about 1 inch to improve appearance. BMR springs claim to do this w/o hurting ride quality. Hard to believe but please voice opinions. I say 1" because I want the option to go long tubes eventually and not scrape any more that I already do on stuff.

4. Cost. Price is always a consideration but this is an important aspect of my car. Maybe give me a best option to shoot for and a less expensive alternative.

Thanks for the opinions guys.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:00 PM
3gc

Re: spring shock combo

I just installed the BMR springs with the Bilstein HD shocks about 2 weeks ago. My car is about an inch lower, handles better and ride quality is nearly identical to stock. The only place i can notice the difference is when going over realy rough roads or railroad tracks. Overall, with the springs, adjustable Panhard Rod and Shocks it ran me about $700 with shipping.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 3gc
I just installed the BMR springs with the Bilstein HD shocks about 2 weeks ago. My car is about an inch lower, handles better and ride quality is nearly identical to stock. The only place i can notice the difference is when going over realy rough roads or railroad tracks. Overall, with the springs, adjustable Panhard Rod and Shocks it ran me about $700 with shipping.
Bilstein hd shocks are a good match for oem springs.After market springs need revalved shocks.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:22 PM
3gc

It's what BMR suggested i run.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 95 WHITE TRANS
Bilstein hd shocks are a good match for oem springs.After market springs need revalved shocks.
You don't need re-valved shocks. While they may be optimal, for a street driven vehicle running bilsteins with lowering springs is much better than running say, stock de-carbons. Not everyone has $1000 to lower their car with.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:40 AM

Ok sounds like Bilstein HD's with BMR springs is an option. How would you rate the increased handling ability with this setup?

I here great things about KONI sports (well except for price anyway). What kind of drop with their threades susp kits? Is there enough of an increase in performance outta these to justify the price over the Bilsteins? How does the adjustability work on these with the spring perch? And how is ride quality???

Thanks for the replies people-keepem coming.

Last edited by mfb_lt1birdman; 09-08-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:09 PM

Could run Bilstein in rear w/sring isolator removed (.75" drop) and run stock springs up front and Koni Sa on the lower spring perch (1") drop. Then spend the spring money on some sway bars.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:57 PM

I thought stock springs would not work on an adjustable shock which would lower the car? Would a combination of different shock front to back result in some weird ride quality?- Say going Koni's up front and bilsteins in rear.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:10 PM

Nope, use 3rd gen rears. The Koni SA has a different setting so you can lower the car.
This isn't my idea, its Sam Strano's.