Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Springs and Shocks - The Best of Both Worlds?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 09:02 PM

Springs and Shocks - The Best of Both Worlds?

I am looking at the suspension of my car and the next on the list is springs/shocks and SFC. I was going to do stock springs with Bilstien HD's, since with Longtubes and a Mufflex Y I dont have the best ground clearance to begin with.

I am looking for a decent performance gain without giving up a ton of ride quality. I know its like asking for 800hp with 100 mile a day driving, but I want to at least try. My goal is for a spirited ride quality but not straight AutoX. Hence my 32mm 1LE sway.

I was looking at 1LE springs since they dont lower the car and high different spring rates. First, where can you find them and how much are they? Second, what shocks match these?

The most I'd lower the car might be an 1" but no more.

If everyone things I can get away with a pretty decent handling gain from just HD's, then say so, it will probably save me some cash.

-Dustin-
Old 10-23-2005, 12:30 PM

Re: Springs and Shocks - The Best of Both Worlds?

Replacing the stock shocks with Bilsteins will certainly be an improvement regardless of whether you change the springs. But the fronts are a job you won't really want to do twice.
Spring rates in case you are interested:
Stock F 292 R 114
1LE F 360 R 130-180
I got these off the web so I can't promise they are correct.
You might also want to consider the SLP setup if its still available.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bud M
Replacing the stock shocks with Bilsteins will certainly be an improvement regardless of whether you change the springs. But the fronts are a job you won't really want to do twice.
Spring rates in case you are interested:
Stock F 292 R 114
1LE F 360 R 130-180
I got these off the web so I can't promise they are correct.

Yeah, the Eibach springs from SLP only lower your car about an inch, as opposed to the standard Eibachs which lower it about 1.5"
Old 10-24-2005, 09:06 AM

Well sounds like HD's might be the route I go since 1LE's are hard to impossible to find. I almost cant imagine how much better it can get since I was overwhelmed but just the 1LE Sway. Thanks fella's.

-Dustin-
Old 10-24-2005, 03:27 PM

Shocks are the big #1 thing the car needs. The stock stuff is crap. Bilstein's are valved in such a way that they are a big improvement. The Bilstein's would have been a great OEM shock on the car, but you can do better if you'd like (and I'd recommend that). Simply put, a number of folks rode in my car back when I ran in F-stock for autox. All I was allowed to do was shocks (Koni's) and a front bar (a 35mm). A number of folks couldn't believe that was all that was done to the car because the difference was so big. The bar certainly helped, but for the majority of what they felt on those rides was due to the good dampers.

Bilstein HD's are good, and low cost, but don't offer the damping the car needs for really great body motion control. SLP's shocks are valved for their springs and nothing else. Not stock, not other lowering springs. Work pretty well when used as the complete Level 1 kit. Then there are Revalved Bilstein's, which are frankly done to offer a better performance alternative to HD's and can be valved for whatever situation. Then you have Koni's which are all in one shocks. Huge range of adjustment, and not coarse adjustments like some cheap adjustable shocks. Capable of damping any spring you chose. Also allows a slight ride height drop with stock springs which keeps a good ride but with much better performance (and actually the ride gets better than DeCarbon's).

And let me add... you want the car to handle better yet? Up the front bar to a 35mm. The difference you felt going from 30 to 32... smaller than 32 to 35, and won't hurt the ride either.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:41 AM

Talking Re: Springs and Shocks - The Best of Both Worlds?

Yea listen to Sam. I have the soild 35mm front bar and the revalved blistens. And I like it pretty good. Just remember its still not going to handle like a z06 C6 :P (dream car)
Old 10-26-2005, 11:47 AM

I'm running QA1 front shocks with 300 lb springs. I'm very happy with them set on 6 for street driving.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:53 AM

My budget in mind for Suspension will probably only allow some HD's with stock springs. Heads and Cams are getting most of the attention

-Dustin-
Old 10-27-2005, 10:01 AM
nfa

That is what I am running right now and its a good street set up (along with 35/21mm sway bars, gw uppers and aphb). That being said, I wish I had sprung for the ground control springs from the front from the beginning as changing the shocks is kinda time consuming. Not hard, just long.

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
My budget in mind for Suspension will probably only allow some HD's with stock springs. Heads and Cams are getting most of the attention

-Dustin-
Old 11-11-2005, 10:00 PM

Well today I noticed what looks like the drivers side of my car sagging from the rear view. I am guessing its mostly bad shocks, but could the springs be bad too? I am usually the only one in the car, but I didnt think I was that heavy

Originally Posted by Bud M
Well, a SLP Springs/Shocks kit is available to me for around $550. Not a bad deal in my opinion. But I have been reading about the rear being lower than the front in many cases. Front lowered .5-.75" and rear lowered 1.5" . Which I dont want at all. I like the stock stance alot, but have never really looked at lowered car stances...I am currently looking into this. Stock stance reminds me more of a muscle car.

How would the stock springs with HD's compare to the SLP kit? Worth the extra $200, possible clearance problems and ride quality? Remember, I have longtubes, other mods in sig. I prefer straightline to curvey any day, but I dont want to throw V6 springs in there. Would the SLP package negate or cause problems with 17x11's with 315's in the future?

Thanks.

-Dustin-
Old 11-12-2005, 08:14 AM

My understanding is that it's the springs that effect ride height, so if the car is sagging on one side, it's most likely the springs.

The shocks are only there to help control the springs.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:42 AM

That's right, shocks don't determine ride height. Springs do.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:59 PM

I was wondering that today...so do you think the SLP package would be good? SLP says it lowers less than an 1". Brent Franker has it on his SS and it looks real good.

-Dustin-
Old 11-14-2005, 08:15 PM

I was also wondering about the Shocks/Springs, Front/Rear, Bilstein/Eibach set from SLP http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...02&BIG=70002-1 . I have some what of the same questions. Im looking for a good street ride yet good performance also and about a 1" drop. This kit seems to be what I'm looking for. What do you all think?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:31 PM

Well it seems like it is about what I am looking for. SLP lists the springs seperate and they are supposed to lower the car at or less than an inch. I also read about it being a great compromise between handling and drag racing. Sounds like a winner.

Anyone got them?

-Dustin-