Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Stainless braided brake hoses

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:04 PM

Stainless braided brake hoses

Is there a brand that is clearly far and above the rest in terms of quality and price? I'm leaning towards the StopTech lines now due to the clear plastic/rubber sheathing they have on the outside of the stainless. Fitment is another concern - I imagine some fit better than others. If you have a good or bad experience with fit on any brand, please post.

Looks like you get get a 5 line set for an LS1 car for ~$110 for Earls and Russell and the StopTechs seem to run a bit higher, perhaps $135 or better.

May just have been the prices at the places I looked at though. Some are tested to 3ksi, others to 4.5ksi - not sure if that makes that much of a difference in the long run so long as they're all DOT certified.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:48 AM

Are your rubber ones worn out? If you're just wanting the better pedal feel try flushing with fresh fluid.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MadaSnik84
Is there a brand that is clearly far and above the rest in terms of quality and price? I'm leaning towards the StopTech lines now due to the clear plastic/rubber sheathing they have on the outside of the stainless. Fitment is another concern - I imagine some fit better than others. If you have a good or bad experience with fit on any brand, please post.

Looks like you get get a 5 line set for an LS1 car for ~$110 for Earls and Russell and the StopTechs seem to run a bit higher, perhaps $135 or better.

May just have been the prices at the places I looked at though. Some are tested to 3ksi, others to 4.5ksi - not sure if that makes that much of a difference in the long run so long as they're all DOT certified.
There is a difference in fit and finish with all the hoses which is why we decided to start making our own in house. Many of our competitors hoses also claim to be DOT certified but in reality they are not. Department of Transportation requires a test called the whip test and many hoses won't pass this test. The reason they get away with it is if the hose they submit to DOT for certification is less than 6 inches long that test is not required and what many companies do to get around the whip test is submit a shorter than 6 inch hose and to get the DOT number and then they assume a blanket certification on all the hoses. There are many other things which keep hoses from being certified as well that many hoses do have but it would become a book to start pointing them all out and most of them are trivial. The photo below is the photo of the Non Traction Control LS1 5 Line Hose Kit and it also shows the color of the covering we use for the proper DOT markings along with extra dirt protection on the stainless. If you have any questions feel free to contact us and we would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by hotpart; 12-05-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 AM

I have the Earl's and Stop Tech lines. The Stop Tech Lines look nicer because of the outer covering and have a higher quality feel. HotPart's lines look nice too. HotPart seems to be a company trying to make a higher quality product, I'd look into those lines.
I've seen a lot of comments about braided lines being suspect for street cars but I've had them on cars and bikes and never had one fail in any way.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have to see the status of my other parts that are on order, but I may be trying to get the car back together this weekend, in which case parts that are closer to me on the east coast may sound better.

Anybody have experience with the Techna-Fit lines from Strano? I've never heard of them, but that doesn't mean too much.