Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Stainless Steel brake line question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 11:34 PM

Stainless Steel brake line question

I have a 95 Formula that i'm upgrading the front brakes on to some from a 99 my question is which SS lines do I buy ones for a LT1 or for a LS1

Thanks in Advance

Clint Wulfnut@***.net
Old 10-28-2004, 12:13 AM

Re: Stainless Steel brake line question

Originally Posted by 95 firechicken
I have a 95 Formula that i'm upgrading the front brakes on to some from a 99 my question is which SS lines do I buy ones for a LT1 or for a LS1

Thanks in Advance

Clint Wulfnut@***.net
I would use the LS1 lines as they look like they are longer. I reused the stock LS1 lines when i went to the LS1 setup. I personally wouldn't waste my money on the stainless lines. Hell the lines aren't that old. The lines that came with my car were fine.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:24 AM

The SS lines are worth the money. Don't be cheep when it comes to stopping your car. Don't you like it? They are a big improvment over the stock lines..
Old 10-28-2004, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by RobbyRob
The SS lines are worth the money. Don't be cheep when it comes to stopping your car. Don't you like it? They are a big improvment over the stock lines..
I don't really see it as being cheap. If the stock lines work fine for the LS1 system then i don't see why they wouldn't work for our cars. I would only replace them if the old ones were worn,ripped, or dry rotted. I do love the brakes though they are awesome.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
I don't really see it as being cheap. If the stock lines work fine for the LS1 system then i don't see why they wouldn't work for our cars. I would only replace them if the old ones were worn,ripped, or dry rotted. I do love the brakes though they are awesome.
The ss line stop your car soooo much better then the stock lines. It just don't make sence not too....
Old 10-28-2004, 04:21 AM

Get the LS1 lines.
They stop a whole lot better.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:36 PM

Use the 98+ lines. The rears are the same for all 4th gens.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:20 AM

So the Earls Stainless LT1 brake lines I bought won't work when I convert to LS1 brakes?

True?
Old 01-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Administrator

PLEASE post on the correct forum.... "brake" questions belong on "Suspension, Chassis and Brakes", not on LT1/LT4 Engine Tech".

Moving......
Old 01-17-2006, 08:26 AM

The stock LS1 lines have a metal "L" shaped section which extends the brake line off of the caliper, then directs it upwards towards the bracket. The majority of the hose is rubber. The LT1 lines are just all rubber and are lacking the "L" shaped section.

Either or will work. The LT1 lines are a bit shorter and you'll probably have to modify your bracket. I bet the section of rubber hose on either stock lines is pretty comparative. That said, any "stretching" of the hose due to brake line pressure is probably pretty similar. I don't think using one stock line or the other is going to make a measurable difference in braking performance.

It seems to me that the purpose of the metal section on the LS1 lines is to just keep the brake lines from rubbing against the caliper and possibly getting damaged. If you want to use LT1 lines and you're concerned about this, wrap the brake line in some small diameter heater hose or something to protect it where it comes in contact with the caliper.

If I was purchasing aftermarket brake lines, I'd just order the LS1 lines and not worry about any length issues.