Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Steering Seems Loose

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 07:25 AM

Steering Seems Loose

Well lately, perhaps its just in my head, but the steering is feeling loose on the Z. Anyway to tighten it up?

Im talking going down the freeway and being able to move the wheel quite a bit without the car moving. Like I can turn it left and right pretty far pretty fast and nothing happens. I'd say maybe a 1/8-1/6 play before action takes place.

-Dustin-
Old 11-18-2005, 09:52 AM

Re: Steering Seems Loose

I had this issue, turned out that the pinion gear in the steering rack was worn. I replaced the rack and the problem was solved. Also check for worn tie rod ends or a worn rag joint.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:31 PM

I took it to a shop and they said the ball joints and tie rods are fine. I had someone else check the linkage and he thinks its the rack and pinion. He said everything above where it goes into the lateral unit seemed tight. I can reach down and grab the linkage near the top and move it about a 1/5 turn either way before getting resistance.

Is there any way to check for sure before dumping $150 or so on a new rack and pinion? I supposed my 17x9.5 front and 17x11 rear arent helping.

It gets worse at higher speeds. The wide tires have always tracked from time to time, but now it seems they have a mind of their own.

Should I just do the rag joint or rag elimination to see? How much does that typically run? Does the rag elimination cause extra vibes or anything?

-Dustin-
Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 AM

I had the same problem a while back, and it turned out to be the rag-joint. A new replacement unit is around $100 I believe, and the rag-joint eliminator is $35 from Unbalanced Engineering. From what I have read, the elimination doesn't induce additional vibrations.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:22 PM

I went out and checked a few things last night. Everything seems normal except for the fact that when the car is on the ground I can grab and turn the whole gear assembly either way about 1/5 of a turn before it stops or resists. It looked like the rag joint might be allowing a tiny bit of movement, but perhaps thats an illusion. Other than that the whole geared part turned together all the way into the rack before resistance.

-Dustin-
Old 01-21-2006, 12:28 AM

Also noticed today when I looked under the hood that power steering fluid is leaking around the lid of the resevior. I think I'm going to get ahold of Mr Strano and drive over to have him take if for a drive. Let the good Doctor give a diagnosis.

-Dustin-
Old 01-21-2006, 10:37 AM

My steering has a slight play too, but my rack and pinion was fine turning it either way. The tie rods were fine and everything on it. I thought this was how they were suppose to be How does the gears in a rack and pinion get worn? I could understand if the car was autocross, but otherwise how?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by MyShibbyZ28
My steering has a slight play too, but my rack and pinion was fine turning it either way. The tie rods were fine and everything on it. I thought this was how they were suppose to be How does the gears in a rack and pinion get worn? I could understand if the car was autocross, but otherwise how?
Steering while the car is stopped, wide tires, and years of routine use all take their toll.

My '96 doesn't have much play in the steering, but it does drift side to side a little on the freeway... these cars don't seem to have much caster, and that can seem like play when really it's not. It would make sense for a sporty car to not have much caster... as high performance handling should probably be a little 'twitchy'.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:04 PM

Well I think the biggest reason might have been going from stock to 17x9 SS rims then to 17x9.5 and 17x11 TT 2's. I also ditched the car during a bad snow day in Ohio, not sure if that contributed to it. My rag joint eliminator was shipped out today, we'll see it that helps.

-Dustin-
Old 01-21-2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
Well I think the biggest reason might have been going from stock to 17x9 SS rims then to 17x9.5 and 17x11 TT 2's. I also ditched the car during a bad snow day in Ohio, not sure if that contributed to it. My rag joint eliminator was shipped out today, we'll see it that helps.

-Dustin-
the fluid coming out of the lid of the PS is normal , i havent seen and lt1 or ls1 that didt do it. It happens on hott days and especially when ur doing alot of turning , ala autox or just playing on teh streets
Old 01-21-2006, 06:32 PM

Well I fixed my broken PHB bushing, actually replaced both sides, and the steering got a little bit tighter. Although the braking and overall handle/feel of the car greatly improved.

Thanks about the PS fluid info, I wasnt sure.

-Dustin-
Old 03-15-2006, 12:40 PM

did the rag joint eliminator work out for ya? Easy install?

What is the PHB bushing???
Old 03-15-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by bow94z
did the rag joint eliminator work out for ya? Easy install?

What is the PHB bushing???
Anyone got a link for this thing?
Old 03-15-2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Anyone got a link for this thing?
(6th item down)
http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/
Old 03-15-2006, 02:27 PM

Panhard Bar Bushing. There is one on each end of the PHB at the rear of your car near the axle.

I never did the eliminator since fixing the rear bushing some how tightened everything up.

-Dustin-

Quick Reply: Steering Seems Loose