Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Steering wheel offset on lt1s

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 11:07 PM

Steering wheel offset on lt1s

I was just wondering if anyone has an offset steering wheel rotation wise. I went into a ditch and bent an lca so i had it replaced and had an alignment. They werent able to align it in spec with the steering wheel in the correct place so i said itd be fine if they turned it a little and aligned it like that.
I thought i had something else wrong. But apparently i've found a few people who have the same thing even after an alignment, one who also got new tie rod ends as well. The shop however couldn't tell me what was wrong and told me just to leave it alone.

Is this a common problem for 4th gens to have the offset steering wheel? I think it may have something to do with the offset rearend that i also hear is quite normal. Just wondering
Old 03-18-2005, 02:43 PM

Re: Steering wheel offset on lt1s

By offset, I assumed you mean the steering wheel isn't straight "up and down" when the car is going straight. This should be easily corrected by your alignment shop by adjusting the tie rods adjusters.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:34 PM

I just got an alignment and they told me they ran out of adjustment for something so they had to offset the wheel to get it into spec. Yes by offset i mean that when going straight, it is 1/8 turned.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:12 PM

I haven't heard of folks running out of travel on the tie rods such that they couldn't get an alignment, but it could be. So was the wheel offset before you ran into the ditch? If not, then this is something from your ditch excursion, of course.

Dave
Old 03-18-2005, 08:37 PM

Yeah it was pretty straight before the excursion but even after, It was perfectly fine, the alignment shop offset it after i changed my lca. Do you think maybe i bent the tie rod end or something? They looked my front end over and couldnt find any problems. The reason i am asking is ive talked to 2 people who had their steeering wheels offset (both fbodies) after an alignment and i was just wondering whats the deal.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:29 PM

If they have to do it that way then something is still worng. You should be able to have the wheels straight and still adjust the alignment in spec with the tie rod ends. If not then something is still bent or broken... plain and simple. If the shop cant figure out what is bent or wrong then I suggest that you find anouther shop who knows what they are doing. They obviously dont.

Basically they set your alignment and then pulled the wheel and clocked it to the correct position via the splines on teh end of the colum. That is flat out the wrong way to do it. Its a bandaid to cover a problem they cant or dont know how to fix...