Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Steering yoke rubbed a hole in brake line, options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 03:04 AM

Steering yoke rubbed a hole in brake line, options?

OK, since I installed Jet Hot LT headers a year and a half ago, I had to gently bend one of my hard brake lines out of the way. Well, when a shop was working on something lately (I normally do all my own work) they must've bent it again, and it was right up against the steering yoke. I never noticed this, and gradually the turning of the steering wore through the brake line, and now I have a pretty big leak in one of the hard lines.

I have been reading up on flaring tools and stuff, so I am wondering if this is fixable myself. What I am wondering is, can I just cut out the 1" section of line that is messed up, and install a coupler somehow if I flare both ends and get some combination of nuts and adapters? Do I need to use bubble flares or can I just use standard 45 degree double flares for this since I'm not connecting to anything stock? (Just making a patch)

I installed my Wilwood kit myself so I am not totally inexperienced with brakes, but I am unsure of whether my master ran dry or not, I haven't check it since I had my car towed. (It had me stranded when I discovered my brakes were leaking) I imagine its going to take a lot of time to bleed all the air out.

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-08-2005, 03:12 AM

Re: Steering yoke rubbed a hole in brake line, options?

BTW, the line that has a hole in it is labelled "Rear" in this pic, where it connects to the ABS block.

http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/staf.../absblock3.jpg

It runs down under the car along the drivers side strut tower, past the steering yoke. The actual hole is right at where it passes the steering yoke, down in the engine bay somewhat. I am thinking I need to cut the line under the car, and then cut the line in the engine bay (where I can reach it) and patch a line in there that is maybe 2-3 feet in length. Doable?