Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

still a bit of roll when cornering + rear wagging on corner exit accel.... upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 12:09 PM

still a bit of roll when cornering + rear wagging on corner exit accel.... upgrades?

Trying to eliminate roll and increase steering responsiveness... here's what i've done so far...

BMR 32mm/21mm front/rear swaybars, subframe connectors, BMR chromoly shock tower brace and 17x9" SSR Integral rims all aroud with 275/40/17 tires. This is a street car and I would LIKE a

I've got stock springs and (for now) stock shocks but I've got a pair of Bilstein HD's ready to go in....

my question is will the HD's help with roll? or will the car require lowering/higher rate springs with the HD's? I don't want to have to get a re-align if i can help it (i JUST got it aligned, plus ground clearance could come into question). Are there higher rate springs that keep stock ride height available?

Also, I do notice some tail wag on corner exiting acceleration... not flooring it obviously, but this is relatively light acceleration. Is there anything i can do to help this? I have stock LCA's and stock panhard rod... I'd think the panhard rod upgrade would help that quite a bit but i'm not sure (i don't want poly bushings, going to stick with higher durometer rubber over stock)

I was recommended the 35mm front hollow swaybar from Strano parts, but that seems like a lot of bar for stock springs/HD's. Seems like the front is under-sprung anyway.... suggestions?

also, on my LS1 front brake upgrade... the passenger side brake line (stock LT1 brake lines, just swapped over calipers etc.) while it does seem to stretch OK with some slack left in the line, it seems to be near the limit of how far it can actually stretch - should i be alarmed about this? its seemed to work fine thus far, i just don't want to find out a month later that i don't have any brakes :-\

thanks guys, i really appreciate your input!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:55 PM

Re: still a bit of roll when cornering + rear wagging on corner exit accel.... upgrad

From my understanding a rear sway bar can actually make your rear slide out. I believe it's best to stay with a stock bar if you want better handling. And go with a aftermarket one if you're drag racing. So, that could be your problem.

About your brake lines...did you bend down that little bracket where the hard and soft line meet? If you didn't, just bend that down and you'll get some extra slack in the line.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:06 PM

Re: still a bit of roll when cornering + rear wagging on corner exit accel.... upgrades?

I just upgraded my springs and shocks (Lowered 1" w/bilstein revalves)... then a week or two later I put in a new PHB. The difference was huge after the spring/shock swap, much less "tail" wagging and far better cornering. But there was still a bit of uneasyness in the back end when exiting turns. After the stock PHB was replaced with a rod end one an annoying squeek in the rear dissapeared and also my rear is now planted exiting a turn

So in short I think the shocks will probably help a good bit keepin the rear more stable and the PHB will help a good bit too from what I noticed on my car. I would recommend the QA1 rod ends for the PHB, it did the job for me and I don't have any comfort issues
Old 08-18-2005, 02:44 PM

Re: still a bit of roll when cornering + rear wagging on corner exit accel.... upgrad

i'll be riding around on some very rough streets (atlanta streets kinda suck in some places) so i dunno if qa1 rod-ends would be good... i thought they were more prone to wearing out?

i was wanting to stick with high-durometer rubber bushings - where can i get some of these bushings?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:35 PM

Re: still a bit of roll when cornering + rear wagging on corner exit accel.... upgrades?

Front sway bar is too small.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:02 PM

The bigger front bar will increase roll stiffness and would be a good idea since you plan on sticking with the stock springs. The bilsteins will help to stiffen up the ride, but other than that, you would need to go with stiffer springs. Since you've mentioned that you would like to keep it at stock ride height, maybe 1le springs are for you.