Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Still can't find Vibration problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 PM

Still can't find Vibration problem...

HELP!

THis is what I've done.

Reballanced wheels + tires 3X!!....was fine for a day then the VIB came back.
Re-adjusted PHB... was fine for a day then the VIB came back.
LCA RLB's.... was fine for a day then the VIB came back.
Readjusted Pinion angle w/ TA (-2*)....No differance. Angle was off one degree. (from lowering car)

It's not in the tranny, that was recently replaced, also w/ new clutch system. (CL and hyd system) Tranny was shot, did a clutch too.

I'm running out of options. I think I need to have my DS ballanced now... if htta ant it.. I'm stumped. THe VIB isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's still there. Feels front end-ish. Slight shake in wheel.

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 12-19-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:45 PM

i have a similar issue, just read my post "vibation that won't go away". i've replaced everything from the bell housing back with no good results.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 PM

^^ U-Joints too?? THat's my next guess..
Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 PM

Probably your Borla exhaust. I have a Borla and have a vibration at certain RPM's. I know that there is a clearance problem with the pipes that go over the rear axle. Might want to have that looked at.

I see you said it's in the front, so don't mind me

Last edited by Camarocracy; 12-20-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:56 PM

Vibe Problem

I know this sounds crazy, but I've seen it several times before even though its not all that common. Have you checked your brake rotors? THey are also rotating mass and are balanced. If one of the wieghts is thrown out or you get a rotor that's close to being out of balance when new, it will only get worse with wear. The weights are in the vented area of the rotor. Good luck........
Old 12-20-2006, 09:58 PM

im so glad i looked here. just today i got a VIBE in my front passenger wheel. i checked lug nuts, the were secure, i checked wheel weights and none were missing. i drove the car and the vibe goes in rotation with the wheel and slows when i apply the brake. the rotor weight sounds like a good place to look to me, i will check that out tomorrow. i hope you find your problem soon bayer, and thanks for making this thread, hopefully mine is an easy fix.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Camarocracy
Probably your Borla exhaust. I have a Borla and have a vibration at certain RPM's. I know that there is a clearance problem with the pipes that go over the rear axle. Might want to have that looked at.

I see you said it's in the front, so don't mind me
-

That's a different vibration. I've heard that before. Not soo much any more. THis is a car-shaking vibration caused by something out of ballance.

I'll keep the rotor ballance in mind. THis just seemed to happen overnight after I installed my wheels. -I REALLY hope it can be fixed w/out having to send my wheels back to AR.

No problem for starting the thread..
Old 12-21-2006, 11:00 PM

Do you have a poly trans mount?? I know (from experience as well) they're famous for causing excessive vibes that will never go away . There is something to be said though, for the exhaust vibrations that these cars get . Even when parked, if you rev the car up to a certain point (around ~2000 - 2500 or so) the car can get a shake/shudder to it, that seems to replicate itself even when you're driving, with the engine in that same range .

I'm thinking about getting my DS balanced as well though ... that may be a good place to start .
Old 12-21-2006, 11:08 PM

Check for shifted or broken tire belts/cords. Only two ways to do it, either put the car on jack stands or lift and let the tires spin while looking directly at the tread. For rear tires put car in gear while running (with tires off the ground!) and for fronts spin by hand as fast as possible, while looking at tread grooves they should appear as perfect "lines", If the "lines" move in either direction the tire will need to be replaced no way to fix this condition. The other safer way to check for this problem is to put the wheel assembly on the spin balencer and check for a shift or tread walk in the tread lines.

Antoher issue I have seen is the rim spinning in the tire, not very common but it can drive you nuts if you don't think to look for it. Simlpe check is to mark the tire and rim with either grease pen, crayon or stickers. If the rim spins even a small amount it will throw the tire out of balence again. Most likely cause is from improper installation, a lot of tire guys use silicone spray on the bead to help it seat faster/easier, as you can guess its not a good idea to have the bead area coated with something slippery

Kevin
Old 12-21-2006, 11:17 PM

when does it vibrate. speeds,turns,brakin,accelleration?
Old 12-22-2006, 12:34 PM

I'm almost positive it's an untrue wheel. I should bring it down to the skills center and watch it on the wheel ballancer. THis guy I work with just fixed his VIB problem... Was a wheel out of true.

This is a shaking problem. It's not as bad in the wheel like it used to be but it's still there. I'm gonna end up calling Discount Tire in Las Cruces and seeing if they can exchange the wheel(s) for me.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:49 PM

is your car an automatic? i was in the middle of doing a burnout and one of my flywheel weights flew off and destroyed my starter so i had my torque converter rebalanced,new GM flywheel and bolts,balanced driveshaft with new u joints and made a HUGE difference,but istill have a vibration, i just gave up and deal withit,i replaced the entire rearend,control arms,torque arm,exhaust etc etc,still there. i wonder if drag radials are worse for vibrations?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Bottom line is it can be a lot of different things. You need to investigate a little more and I second the poly trans mount. happened to me and switching to stock rubber solved the problem and cost about 10 dollars. Would only get bad vibes at certain rpms also.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:46 PM

Slight shake in the steering wheel is only the tire,wheel,or caliper.I had my front tires balanced while on the car.They get the wheel spinning up to 100 mph,and then balance it.Find an older shop that performs this(some airports do this as airplane tires need this as well).Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:07 PM

Thumbs up ball joints, etc

Just fixed the wheel shimmy/vibration in my 1970 um, um Mustang. Upper ball joints ...and any and all worn suspension parts AND also anything that spins and has mass can do this. It has to be the worst and most maddening thing to happen to cars ever. Lumpy/Bad tires and u joints top the list followed by dirty/bent wheels, rotors,bad driveline splines, carrier bearings, side gear bushings, wheel bearings, pinion bearings, slighty bent drive shafts, Uncentered friction plates, Tranny shafts, axle shafts ,drive shafts. Warped rear drums(this got me last month), Engine missfiring. All must be clean and Balanced and not bent to work right.