Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Stock Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 11:47 PM

Stock Shocks?

What kind of shocks came stock on the Lt1 camaros? I noticed I have yellow Koni shocks that you can adjust with a screw driver at the bottom of the shock.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:49 PM

Re: Stock Shocks?

I don't think those are stock. Mine are stock and they're orange, and definitely don't say KONI, and also are not adjustable. KONI makes some dang good stuff. Those are good shocks you probably have there.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:58 PM

I didn't think chevy put Koni shocks on there cars. The last owner of the car didn't mention there were after market shocks installed. I seem to find a more aftermarket parts on this car every week
Old 07-10-2005, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit 1
I didn't think chevy put Koni shocks on there cars. The last owner of the car didn't mention there were after market shocks installed. I seem to find a more aftermarket parts on this car every week
Certain year 1LE option-package equipped Camaros came with the yellow Koni shocks that you are describing. If your car was equipped with the 1LE package from the factory, you will also be pleasantly surprised to find another adjuster on the bottom of the shock to adjust compression ; the top adjuster takes care of rebound. So you probably have the infamous, $1200/set Koni Double-Adjustable shocks but just to be sure, check and see if you have a factory 1LE car or not (I think you can tell from the VIN, but I don't know what code to look for. Maybe someone else will chime in on this). Even if it is not a factory 1LE car, and even if you don't have the adjusters on the bottom (meaning you would have the single-adjustable Konis), you still have damn good shocks on your car. Congratulations.

Last edited by Camaro_Maniac63; 07-10-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:11 AM

Hint: 1LE is the RPO Code.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro_Maniac63
Certain year 1LE option-package equipped Camaros came with the yellow Koni shocks that you are describing. If your car was equipped with the 1LE package from the factory, you will also be pleasantly surprised to find another adjuster on the top of the shock to adjust compression ; the bottom adjuster takes care of rebound. So you probably have the infamous, $1200/set Koni Double-Adjustable shocks but just to be sure, check and see if you have a factory 1LE car or not (I think you can tell from the VIN, but I don't know what code to look for. Maybe someone else will chime in on this). Even if it is not a factory 1LE car, and even if you don't have the adjusters on the top (meaning you would have the single-adjustable Konis), you still have damn good shocks on your car. Congratulations.
FYI,

Bottom adjustor takes care of compression settings.

Upper adjustment handles rebound.

Single adjustables don't have the bottom adjustment, they have the top only, so if you have bottom adjustors they are Koni DA.

Do a web search under "koni north america". You will find the info on how to adjust the shocks.

Upper adjustment on the front requires a pin or 2.5mm allen wrench to spin a wheel with holes in it. The rear needs a white plastic ****, check your glove box or order one for $4.00. Upper rear adjustment is under the carpet, there are some cut outs in the carpet from the factory.

They are good shocks and did come OEM on 96-1999 1LE cars. You can also buy them aftermarket and bolt them on.

Z28
Old 07-10-2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Z28barnett
FYI,

Bottom adjustor takes care of compression settings.

Upper adjustment handles rebound.

Single adjustables don't have the bottom adjustment, they have the top only, so if you have bottom adjustors they are Koni DA.

Do a web search under "koni north america". You will find the info on how to adjust the shocks.

Upper adjustment on the front requires a pin or 2.5mm allen wrench to spin a wheel with holes in it. The rear needs a white plastic ****, check your glove box or order one for $4.00. Upper rear adjustment is under the carpet, there are some cut outs in the carpet from the factory.

They are good shocks and did come OEM on 96-1999 1LE cars. You can also buy them aftermarket and bolt them on.

Z28
Thanks for catching the mistake
Old 07-10-2005, 11:43 PM

I have never heard of a 1LE camaro before. I just bought the car 2 mounths ago just thought I was buying a regular 1997 Camaro Z28. Now that I have looked on my service parts idenifacation sticker and found the 1LE code I got on 1LE.NET and read about the 97 1LE camaros, it describes my car and the fact that only 48 1997 1LE camaros were built makes me feal special, bow down bitchs I got a 1LE. I still plan on tearing this car a part though, I didn't buy it to be a collectors Item. I wanted to replace to front shocks with some QA1 R-series.

Last edited by Bandit 1; 07-10-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit 1
I have never heard of a 1LE camaro before. I just bought the car 2 mounths ago just thought I was buying a regular 1997 Camaro Z28. Now that I have looked on my service parts idenifacation sticker and found the 1LE code I got on 1LE.NET and read about the 97 1LE camaros, it describes my car and the fact that only 48 1997 1LE camaros were built makes me feal special, bow down bitchs I got a 1LE. I still plan on tearing this car a part though, I didn't buy it to be a collectors Item. I wanted to replace to front shocks with some QA1 R-series.
Well, I think you should just leave your shocks alone. QA1-Rs are good for drag racing only, and you can get a similar effect from the Konis by simply putting them on their softest setting up front to help with the launches, if that is your concern. Besides the drag strip though, Koni DAs are much much better shocks than the HALs.