Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Strange 12 bolt and rear sway bar ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:31 AM

Strange 12 bolt and rear sway bar ???

I thought I've seen somewhere on here that you have to get new mounts to install the sway bar with a Strange 12 bolt. Now I can't find that thread. Is this true? If it is can anyone give me a rundown of what I need before I tackle the rearend swap? thanks.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:34 AM

I have a Strange 12 bolt with an aluminum cover and a heavy duty rear sway bar (thicker than stock). The sway bar bolted right up. No special brackets required. Only issue was that the bar rubbed slightly on the rear cover, near the bottom about 1/2 inch up from the edge. I ground down the spot where it rubbed and now all is fine.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:45 AM

Excellent. I probably misread something and is the reason why I couldn't find it. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:40 PM

Your sway bar must have come with different mounting brackets because the strange axle housing is much larger than stock and the stock mounting brackets will not go around it! We sell the Spohn sway bar mounting kit for 75.00 and a new sway bar bushing for 14.95.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Unless Strange has made some recent changes in their 12-bolt, the axle tubes are identical to the stock 10-bolt axle tubes. They are that way on my Strange, and the stock sway bar mounting hardware worked fine. I did avoid the problem with the sway bar hitting the logo on the LPW aluminum cover by notching the u-bolt brackets so the bottom of the bracket could be rotated backwards slightly to push the bar far enough away from the cover.

I also thought Strange started welding their own sway bar mounting brackets on the tubes, slightly thicker than stock, to eliminate the interference between the bar and the LPW cover. Mine had no brackets for the sway bar, but I bought it 8 years ago.

I believe its the Moser that comes with the 3.5" axle tubes, and requires the Spohn mounting brackets for the sway bar.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:36 PM

Admittedly, we don't sell strange (Moser dealer here) but the info we had was this:

Strange Engineering 12 Bolt Rear uses the 3" diameter axle tubes kit
Moser Engineering 12 Bolt Rear uses the 3" diameter axle tubes kit
Ford 9" Rears - Moser Engineering Ford 9" rears manufactured after early 2002 use a 3" diameter axle tube.
Moser Engineering Ford 9" rears manufactured prior to early 2002 use a 3.25" diameter axle tube. Other brand Ford 9" rears vary, you should check your axle tube diameter before ordering.

If someone that has purchased a Strange rear end recently can clarify, that would be best.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:15 PM

My Strange 12 bolt was a direct swap. Just took out the factory GM rear and bolted in the 12 bolt. Nothing else other than slightly grinding the edge of the LPW logo as was mentioned before.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:05 AM

***By the way all these info are backed up by JIM BUSCHMAN wich is a tech guy at Strange engineer that i ve comminucate a couple of times with ***

I bought mine less than 1 year ago and the axle tubes are practicly identical to the stock 10-bolt axle tubes.The stock sway bar mounting hardware doesnt worked anymore because...

Strange started welding their own sway bar mounting brackets on the tubes, slightly thicker than stock, to eliminate the interference between the bar and the LPW cover.It also comes with the 4 mountings bolts to install the stock or aftermarket sway bar without any mods.

So to make this clear:

-Strange 12 bolts comes with identical axle tubes size has the stocker.
-Stranges 12 bolts now come with already welded sway bar brackets and the 4 bolts needed to install stock or aftermarket sway bar.
-Its an easy bolt on without any modification
-Only 5pounds heavier than a stocker(based on injuneer info)
-Comes fully assembled with a real good TA mounts(compare to a moser one)
-With the 33 splines HD posi,33splines axles that can handle near 1000hp and all the positive aspect that i mention above, a Strange is 12 bolts is the way to go.

Word

Last edited by always faster; 03-17-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Strange Engineering 12 Bolt Rear uses the 3" diameter axle tubes kit
Moser Engineering 12 Bolt Rear uses the 3" diameter axle tubes kit
Ford 9" Rears - Moser Engineering Ford 9" rears manufactured after early 2002 use a 3" diameter axle tube.
Moser Engineering Ford 9" rears manufactured prior to early 2002 use a 3.25" diameter axle tube. Other brand Ford 9" rears vary, you should check your axle tube diameter before ordering
Everyone claims the Moser 12-bolt is "stronger", based solely on the fact that the Moser has larger tubes than stock or Strange. You might want to check with Spohn, where you copied your info from. His info is usually more reliable than that.