Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

strange part on front shock...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 11:37 AM

strange part on front shock...?

I am replacing my stock front suspension with Bilstien/Eibach. Bilstein says re-use some of the OE parts (like spring seats, dust boot, etc.) When I started to go about getting these OE parts off the shock, I ran into a problem. First, the nut on top was seized, wouldn't budge, so I cut it off. Now, there is a part that sits just on top of the boot plate and I have no clue what it is. I don't know:

1) Is it one piece with the boot plate?
2) Is it threaded on or could it be just corroded on? (I have whaled on that SOB and it would not move at all)
3) What does it do?
4) Is it needed on the new shock?

I wish I could post a pic but no dig. camera... It appears it may be one piece with the boot plate, yet the plate will rotate separate from the wierd part. Anyway, I cannot get the boot plate or the bottom spring seat off the shock without getting this part off. Also, no parts shops around here have anything come up in their systems for replacement parts. Does anyone know where I can buy spring seats and dust boots - besides a dealer? And, would it be a stupid idea putting the new shocks in without a dust cover?

Appreciate any help.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:40 AM

I had to buy new upper spring seats from the dealer, the old ones were just too far gone.
I can,t reccomend it but I am running my KYB AGXs without the dust boots and have not seen any ill effects, over time that may change though.
If your spring perches are as bad as you describe you are probably going to have to break down and buy new ones, not cheap I know but those parts get trashed badly cause they hold water.
I ended up tossing the entire spring assembly on both sides and buying all new parts (I was installing new springs and shocks) it hurt the wallet but it had to be done.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:54 AM

thanks for the reply. I just talked to a susp. tech at a dealer and he said it's not a big deal to omit the dust cover. Even for picking up salt in the springtime, he said it shouldn't effect the hardened steel of the shaft. I think I'm ready to put the new parts on then! GET SOME! heh