Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Strano hollow vs. Wolfe/Spohn "drag race" bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:27 AM

Strano hollow vs. Wolfe/Spohn "drag race" bars

How does Strano's hollow rear swaybar compare in drag applications with "dragrace" rear swaybars like Wolfe of Spohn? There are no specifications on Strano's site. I know Strano's bars are probably better suited for road racing than drag, but I've heard they are a high quality piece. The Spohn and Wolfe bars are chromoly, so between those and Strano's which is lighter. Which is strongest? Things like that.

If you see this Sam, can you give the specifics on your rear swaybars, please?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Administrator

The Spohn is for straight line racing. PERIOD. It is totally pointless to compare a solid chrome moly spring steel bar, 1-5/16" in diameter with a hollow bar made for street driving. You don't even have to guess to figure out which one weighs more. And it doesn't take much thought to figure out which one has the highest torsional strength. But "strongest" is not a valid criterion, until you identify how the bar will be used. They are two different bars, made for two different purposes.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:35 AM

Solid bars are heavier and somewhat stiffer than hollow bars.
The quality on Sam's bars is okay but that's not what sells them. Its the combination of size and weight that you can't get from other vendors except Hotchkis and their bars cost an arm and a leg.
I'd suggest looking at the Suspension Techniques bar from Jeg's for the strip. Even though its solid its a nice piece and the price is right.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by maro z28
How does Strano's hollow rear swaybar compare in drag applications with "dragrace" rear swaybars like Wolfe of Spohn? There are no specifications on Strano's site. I know Strano's bars are probably better suited for road racing than drag, but I've heard they are a high quality piece. The Spohn and Wolfe bars are chromoly, so between those and Strano's which is lighter. Which is strongest? Things like that.

If you see this Sam, can you give the specifics on your rear swaybars, please?

First off my "normal" rear bar is a hollow 22.... Intended for handling use, but still some 33% stiffer than stock, so the car will launch straighter. We also have a hollow 25mm bar, which not many know about. Same $189 as the 22, but some 70% stiffer than a stock 19. That's too much for a handling car, but more inline with what you want on a car that leaves crooked

Chrome-Moly doesn't matter unless the bar is hollow. Chrome-Moly isn't lighther than mild steel unless you use less of it, and solid bars don't use less of it. Further Chrome-Moly is strong in compression and tension, but more brittle in bending, which bars have to do. My bars are not CM, and I wouldn't want them to be.

As for weight. A hollow 22mm rear is about 5 pounds less than a solid 19 (stock). It's about 7 pounds less than a solid 21. And about 8-9 less than a solid 25 (and so it goes).
Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 AM

Just putting in my .02.... I have a spoohn drag bar.... I wish I would have gotten a strano...
Old 02-20-2007, 02:29 PM

How much does your hollow 25mm wiegh in comparison to the stock solid 19mm bar? Does it have rod ended links to pre-load the suspension?