Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Street / Strip Suspension ?? is it possible

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:11 PM

Street / Strip Suspension ?? is it possible

I have a 1995 Z28 with a built 383 Stroker Motor(approx 500hp at the crank). I am looking for a suspension that i could do both street and hang at the strip with. I have done alot of searching and research but havent found the answers to what i am looking for??? Is it even possible to have a good handling ride while still being able to hook up at the strip ? The Vehicle is an A4 car ( yeah yeah it wasnt my first choice ). Any suggestions on how I should set this thing up is appreciated. By the way this is my first post and thanks for all the great info you have givin me already !!!!! Just to give you a little background I live miles from the Sac raceway (Drag) and my good friend has a Nissan 240z (Street) with a red top turbo motor and fully done coil over suspension and I want to be able to hang with him and still have fun in the strip. I think whatever I am lacking in suspension I can make up in sheer HP numbers but I need to stay on the road....

Thanks

Doug
Old 02-14-2007, 02:40 PM

You can have an awesome drag setup, or you can have an awesome handling setup, or you can have an alright setup of each. There's no real way you can have the best of both worlds on this one.

I used to have my car setup to handle awesome (Eighbach lowering springs, Bilstien shocks, larger front and rear sway bars, panhard bar, ect., ect,.). But eventually I realized that I race the car and need to stick to the road from a launch more than I need and use the car to handle corners at high speeds. I ended up changing to the BMR tubular K-member, upper and lower tubular A-arms, and changed to some QA1 drag shocks and drag springs, as well as getting a different torque arm, and changing my lower control arms. I still have my larger sway bars (which I am sure doesn't help me at the track), but primarily the rest of my setup is to hook up. And all things considered, it does an awesome job hooking up as well, not only at the track but on the street. It is definatly a different feel now though when I am cornering (not nearly as good as it used to be), but I am happy with my decision to change over to what I did.

It pretty much comes down to which you want more. A drag setup? Or a handling setup?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 PM

LCAs and a Panhard bar will be an improvement for both purposes and a bigger (hollow) front swaybar will improve handling without hurting you at the track. Dropping the LCAs at the rear with relocation brackets and a changing to a bigger rear swaybar before you head out to the track isn't such a big deal and you can change it back to handling mode afterwards.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to make the choice on what I will be doing to most of. By the way I read your signature and your making 590 rwhp ???
Old 02-14-2007, 10:56 PM

Bud now that is the stuff I am looking for ... Suspension mods that help in both situations. I notice you are here in sac Do you ever take your car to the dragstrip ?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by sactoz28
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to make the choice on what I will be doing to most of. By the way I read your signature and your making 590 rwhp ???
Here's the video of my dyno tune;

Click here to see Video
Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 AM

torque arm...or at least a poly torque arm bushing...will improve both straight line and lateral grip.

you could look into some kind of adjustable rear setup. but most are still going to be shy of "awesome" for either type of driving. but it's a nice compromise.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:12 PM

What about shocks. Will Bilsteins or some other "handling" shock make or break you at the track? Example:going from Bilsteins and stock springs to a drag coil-over set up, will it net you any time improvements all other things being equal?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:15 PM

Shocks and springs are probably the BIGGEST factor when it comes to drag racing and handling. You won't find a good shock and spring combo that does both well.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:36 PM

You can get some Koni DA's. Then you can simply adjust them when you go to the track and then put them back to street trim before you leave. Maybe talk to Sam Strano and he can get you some springs that will be stiffer than stock, not lower you too much, and still transfer weight well. He does more road racing, but he knows his stuff. You can talk to him about your sway bar setup as well. I think most people take the front sway bar off completely, but he can make you a hollow one to save some weight. The tubular K-member and TA will help both a LOT, but they're $$$.

Do you have a bigger rear end yet? Without that, you're probably gonna break the stock one soon with that motor and better suspension.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:24 AM

I like all the responses and especially like the dyno video. I have not changed the rear end nor the transmission yet. The motor just has been built. I purchased the car as a non running vehicle in perfect shape. I am getting ready to drop the motor in. The motor is a 383 stroker with Trick Flow heads, a custom ground cam and a forged rotating assembly composed of Eagle Crank and Rods and Probe Pistons producing a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio. I have also purchased long tubes, a 58 mm throttle body 42lb injectors. I am in the middle of porting the intake. The cam specs per comp cams is GROSS VALVE LIFT .541 .537 and DURATION @ .050 230.00 236.00. I also am installing at the same time a racetronix 255lph pump with harness and Harris Speed Works Dual nozzle nitrous kit. The torque convertor for the transmission is a 3000 stall which i hope is enough for the cam i am running. Guys this may seem a little crazy but this is my first "hot rod" I have ever put together and have been winging it by,largely in part.what I have read on here. (I have had mostly jeeps and 4 Wheelers) From what I gather I have killed the smogability of the car but what the hell..... I just was hoping while having it in the air I could get something going for the suspension as well. I like the idea of the adjustable shocks. (by the way people always ask why a 95 Camaro???? I have to say ive wanted one since I was in Highschool --95 is the year i graduated--) Your pointers have helped out alot and I will be writing Mr. Sam Strano. How do i get a hold of him ? By the way I will have to start a whole new thread about the rear end and Transmission after Im done reading about those
Old 02-16-2007, 06:20 AM

One thing to keep in mind about the adjustables; they may not be as ideal as you think. I also have adjustables, and yes, I can change the ride hight to change what kind of suspension I am looking for, however the large downside is that once you adjust them, you have to get an alignment all over again otherwise you'll wear your tires down and your alignment will be all off. So, unless you can set your own alignment up in your own garage, or know someone who can hook you up time and time again, this may not be the great thing it seems to be.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by maro z28
Example:going from Bilsteins and stock springs to a drag coil-over set up, will it net you any time improvements all other things being equal?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:58 AM

You can contact Sam at stranoparts.com
his name on this board is Sam Strano