Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

strut removal on 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 12:19 AM

strut removal on 3rd gen

i'm dissassembling my front suspension on my 87 iroc because i have a tubular k-member and a arms i'm putting in and i need new shocks

anyway

i took off both spindles and i disconnected the struts from their towers and pulled off the spindles and strust together

why?

because i'm having problems with the two bolts that hold the strut to the spindle

on the drivers side the nuts came off but the bolt wont budge, i sheared a quality 1/2in downsize to 3/8in adapter in my futile attempts o rotate the bolt
the bolt wont turn or move in/out of the spindle

on the passenger side its the opposite
both bolts spin in place and i can't loosen the nuts (mainly because i only have one socket in the size of the nuts)

any advice? especially on the drivers side
Old 04-04-2005, 10:22 AM

Re: strut removal on 3rd gen

Impact Wrench? If that is not possible try using a 4 way lug wrench to get some better torque on the bolts. I have also used a nut threaded back onto the bolt (discarded afterward) and struck it with a sledge hammer. It will come off, just takes a LOT of force.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:56 PM

stop..get decent tools first...make sure they are 6 piont sockets also,not crappy *** 12 pionters..impact sockets work well..you should be able to break the nut loose..as far as the stuck bolt thats a matter of rust so youll have to try so break free or liquid wrench type oil..soak it for a day or 2 and see if youll bust it that way
Old 04-04-2005, 11:05 PM

i dont have an impact wrench, but it doesnt matter for the passenger side, i should be able to break it free with a second socket, i just have to go get one, my real problem is the drivers soide, the bolts wont even turn, and i'm having a similar problem with the rear bolt of my drivers side a-arm it turns but it wont come out, it takes alot of effort to turn

also when i work with severly rusted chassis parts i use liquid wrench and if thats not available, i use pb blaster,

wd40 is like water, it doesnt do anything compared to the others