Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Strut/Shock Brand Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:21 PM

Strut/Shock Brand Advice Please

Hey guys, I have the Eibach Sportline springs, and i figured that since my struts are out anyway, might as well get some nice ones not so i wont have to bother with takin all that crap apart for awhile. Well i have heard some nice things about the KYB AGX Adjustable Struts and Shocks and found them on ebay for around 300 for 2 struts and 2 shocks, and i have also found some Bilstiens tho i dont think there adjustable. I was wondering what advice you guys thought about the shock and struts i should get. Keep in mind tho that im a 19 year old with a low budget, im getting the money for the struts from my tax return and my parents put me down on their taxes so i probably wont even have what i expected, which sucks. But i do want quality parts, i want to get some nice performance, but i dont feel the need to go as far as spending 800 for some coilover struts i have seen for the f-body's. I am hoping these KYB's are a great quality brand to get as i can see spending this much for them. Thanks for the help!
Here is the link for them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-A...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-14-2006, 12:08 AM

Re: Strut/Shock Brand Advice Please

I've owned KYB AGX and they didn't last 4 months without blowing.. I also had to run them at full stiff to keep from scapping on dips on the interstate.
If you want good shocks, get Bilstien, if you need good adjustable get Koni (yes they are expensive). You will get what you pay for in shocks. My last set of Konis were sold with several years worth of autocrosses and road course events on them worked just as good as the day I got them. The only reason I sold them, is I had traded my '99 TA in on a GTO. I've since bought a '95 and have regretted selling the Konis..
Old 04-14-2006, 12:41 AM

Re: Strut/Shock Brand Advice Please

I have a set of Koni DA's and they are the best shock I have experienced. I like bilsteins, but they have too much forgivness in them. The real difference I have noticed besides the adjustablility factor is that I can read the road through the steering wheel a lot better with the Koni's than with the bilsteins.

To each his own though. It really comes down to apples and oranges, and which one will get the job done. They both will, but in my opinion, the Konis do it better.