Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

strut tower brace......

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 08:35 PM

strut tower brace......

anything i should know before i buy one? installation easy? specific brand name? any modifications necessary so it fits right in?

tell me everything you know.......thanks guys
Old 05-28-2006, 12:38 AM

Re: strut tower brace......

A two point strut tower brace is about as bolt in as you can get. Literally takes 5 minutes to install. Remove the 2 nuts for the shocks on each shock tower, put the brace on, use the supplied hardware and tighten the nuts.

I went with spohn, but BMR is identical, spohn was just slightly cheaper. They are all about the same except for the three point braces. A lot of people advise against using them though because they claim that it puts undo stress on the cowl sometimes causing a cracked windsheild. I've never heard of anyone actually cracking their windsheild because of a strut tower brace but it seems somewhat plausable.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by LT1_383
A two point strut tower brace is about as bolt in as you can get. Literally takes 5 minutes to install. Remove the 2 nuts for the shocks on each shock tower, put the brace on, use the supplied hardware and tighten the nuts.

I went with spohn, but BMR is identical, spohn was just slightly cheaper. They are all about the same except for the three point braces. A lot of people advise against using them though because they claim that it puts undo stress on the cowl sometimes causing a cracked windsheild. I've never heard of anyone actually cracking their windsheild because of a strut tower brace but it seems somewhat plausable.
Hmmm, thanks for the info. I'm looking at the BMI and the Spohn....just not sure which one to go with, lol.

I've never heard of a cracked windshield, either....
Old 05-28-2006, 01:28 PM

The installation is very easy. The hardest part is probably just picking one out since there are several to choose from. I have the Hotchkis one on my car, but the previous owner installed that. Personally, I hate it and I plan on swapping it for the Spohn piece soon. The Hotchkis is wider then the BMR and Spohn braces so it has made it difficult to mount my nitrous solenoids where I ideally wanted them.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
The installation is very easy. The hardest part is probably just picking one out since there are several to choose from. I have the Hotchkis one on my car, but the previous owner installed that. Personally, I hate it and I plan on swapping it for the Spohn piece soon. The Hotchkis is wider then the BMR and Spohn braces so it has made it difficult to mount my nitrous solenoids where I ideally wanted them.
Thanks for the input.......from what I've seen, the Spohn and BMR pieces are pretty much identical, except for a few dollars difference......same material and everything.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:08 PM

Very simple install, takes like 10 mins. I went with the UMI because it was even cheaper yet.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:50 PM

Buy the cheapest one you can find since they don't do much anyway(on a 4th gen at least.) I got mine only for cosmetic reasons. Check out Ebay.

Dan
Old 05-30-2006, 02:14 PM

I've had my 3 point on for 10 years with no issues. I don't know if i'd say it didn't do much though. It was a night and day difference in hard cornering after I put it on.

Ken R.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:59 PM

One more thing you may need to know. If you have an SS style hood, even if it is non functional, you will need to get a strut tower brace for the SS. I ran into this problem when I got a BMR strut tower brace (which was great), and then when I got my non functional SS hood, I couldn't close it . I since sold the BMR, and got a hotchkiss SS style one that works fine.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:15 PM

They make great towel racks.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:21 PM

Eye candy only, doesn't improve handling.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:31 AM

I would disagree with the eye candy comment. I could notice a difference in handling between when the strut tower brace was on vs when it was off.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:16 PM

I would think the 3 point may be effective but the 2 point is a waste of money even if it's free.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
I would think the 3 point may be effective but the 2 point is a waste of money even if it's free.
If a 2 point wouldn't do anything then I don't see how a 3-point set up would really make a difference. All its doing is bolting in a fire wall.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:13 PM

It can't hurt, and obviously, it's doing something but it's a very, very small difference. I bought mine for looks.

BTW, I have the OEM SS hood, and my standard 2 point STB works just fine. I don't have the intake hooked up to the ram air though. I have a K&N FIPK CAI, and use the ram air to cool the engine instead.

Dan

Quick Reply: strut tower brace......