Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

strut tower brace fit (?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 07:15 AM

strut tower brace fit (?)

I've searched thru quite a few topics in this forum already, but haven't been able to see if the SLP (or any) STB will fit in place on a basically stock car. I still have the air conditioning in, will the STB from SLP fit with the air conditioning? I saw Injuneer's pic with his "4-pt." STB, and he has removed some of the air conditioning system. Anyone able to help?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:14 PM

Re: strut tower brace fit (?)

Alright, I did a bit more searching, and came up with this: strut tower brace install

It looks like in the second picture down on the right side, that the car is basically stock, including a/c. Now my only choice is either to go with the STB from SLP, or the "4-pointer" from LG motorsports....the one @ LG is 60 bucks more expensive than the SLP one, and that would help me decide. I've also heard of cracking windshields, but I don't plan to do much more than the exhaust, a few valvetrain mods, and a few more suspension & engine mods, and no AutoX or nitrous(planned ) either.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by htweels86
Alright, I did a bit more searching, and came up with this: strut tower brace install

It looks like in the second picture down on the right side, that the car is basically stock, including a/c. Now my only choice is either to go with the STB from SLP, or the "4-pointer" from LG motorsports....the one @ LG is 60 bucks more expensive than the SLP one, and that would help me decide. I've also heard of cracking windshields, but I don't plan to do much more than the exhaust, a few valvetrain mods, and a few more suspension & engine mods, and no AutoX or nitrous(planned ) either.
Look at Edelbrock's STB. I am not positive but I think that is what Injuneer has on his car. I might buy the Edelbrock next week. Summit carries it.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:02 AM

Injuneers car is sweet, especially with the computer he threw in.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:09 AM

I stand corrected, the 4-point STB on Injuneer's car is a LG Motorsport. I emailed LGM and they said they did not sell 4-point STB's. I explained that one of the cz28 members had one and asked where he got it. They replied a few hours later and apologized and said they would have it on their website by the end of the day. Now you should be able to go to LG Motorsport and order a 4-point STB just like Injuneer has. Now you know why you don't see many 4-point STB's made by LGM.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Administrator

That's odd.... I bought the LG Motorsports "4-point" in 1995!!! It's been on my car for 9 years. I'm pushing 800flywheel HP through the car, and the windshield is still in one piece. I have actually found only one person who had first-hand experience with a broken windshield, and that was an idividual who was road racing, and decided to spin out and land ion a ditch.

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun...C/Motor202.jpg

All the braces should fit with air conditioning. I had A/C for the first 5 years the brace was installed. Its very tight, fitting the passenger side over the two bolts, and the d@mn A/C pressure switch is right in the way and makes it difficult to swing a wrench, but it fits and it can be tightened up with the A/C intact.

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-27-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:53 PM

Any STB should fit any stock 4th gen. Here's a pic of my BMR brace:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/buds93...&.dnm=18e8.jpg
Old 09-27-2004, 10:07 PM

mine fit fine i just put it on a few days ago, the passenger side is a little tight, its not touching any of the A/C stuff, but i could see how it might be too close to fit depending which STB you get.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:33 PM

Where does that 4-point mount too---it looks like it's just sitting on the intake manifold...........does it go all the way back to the firewall?
Old 09-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Two bolts throught the cowl sheet metal, right under the plastic cover. A closer view:

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun.../DCP03642a.jpg
Old 09-28-2004, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Two bolts throught the cowl sheet metal, right under the plastic cover. A closer view:

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun.../DCP03642a.jpg
Did you have to drill bolt holes or does it use existing bolts?